Sad News from Dulyn bothy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stopsy 26 Nov 2014
Sorry to hear about the vandalism at Dulyn Bothy, stayed there for two nights over the summer. It's a hell of a walk just to go and break things! Just a heads up to any who were thinking of heading out there soon.

More information http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/news-general-item.asp?item_id=660

Billhook 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Stopsy:

"Oh, we do love the countryside and mountains. You can have so much fun without hurting anyone. Remember the fun we had burning that bothy down. Mint laugh"

Prxxts!!

jezb1 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Stopsy:

Truly amazing what scum will do. I use that place a couple of times a year, it's such a great spot.
llechwedd 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Stopsy:

> Sorry to hear about the vandalism at Dulyn Bothy...... It's a hell of a walk just to go and break things!

Probably less than 2 miles from the end of the road, that's one reason why it's such a magnet for sh1te.

Each time I've walked past I've had to clear rubbish from it, despite the notices asking that it not be left. I guess the only thing that'd reduce the likelihood of vandalism would be to make it less accessible by having a locked gate a mile further down the road. Not a practical measure I suppose, given the impact on access for those those farming the area.
Perhaps it'd be better to close it?
OP Stopsy 26 Nov 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

Maybe it just feels further away in the dark with big rucksacks then! It'd be a real shame for it to close, from what I hear that's unlikely though thankfully. Better to close it? Fishing for a bite there...
 johnnorman 27 Nov 2014
In reply to Stopsy:

What`s also sad is the lack of response to this thread !
 gethin_allen 27 Nov 2014
In reply to johnnorman:

> What`s also sad is the lack of response to this thread !

Should everyone be queuing up to pay their respects like the passing of a great leader?

Most people probably don't have the hill talk forums in their list and most people have no link to this bothy or even any idea where it is.

Yes it's sad that some people do this stuff but do you really need everyone to pitch in and condemn it?
 Mike Conlon 27 Nov 2014
In reply to johnnorman:

Ok for what it is worth - I only visited Dulyn once when training for my ML with Plasy Brenin. It lashed down all week and as we set off for our expedition the instructor had the minibus stop at a convenience store. We were initially puzzeled as we were told to ditch our tents for handipacks of coal. After a great day on a sodden Carneddi, we were happy to be instructed to lead off from Foel-fras to a building on the map which turned out to be Dulyn Bothy. The coal helped us dry out and if my navigation hadn't endeared me to the instructors, the half bottle of rum I carried to liven up our cocoa certainly did. I had always hoped to revisit Dulyn and although I probably wouldn't have, I am saddened to hear of its hopefully temporary demise.
 rockcat 27 Nov 2014
In reply to Stopsy:

Sad and appalling. Why?
 wilkesley 27 Nov 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

Never stayed there, but have visited Cwm Eigiau frequently. Personally I prefer my tent to a bothy. I am not too surprised that it has been vanadlised, as it's a fairly easy walk from the Cwm Eigiau car park, plus it's quite well publicised on various web sites. Let's hope that the vandals can be identified.
 Skol 27 Nov 2014
In reply to llechwedd:
I never knew there was a bothy in the Carnedds
 Chris_Mellor 28 Nov 2014
In reply to Stopsy:

This is plain disgusting. Scumbag people doing vile things. All that energy devoted to spoiling something. Yeuch.
Sad day.
abseil 28 Nov 2014
In reply to rockcat:

> Sad and appalling. Why?

Good question. Can only guess, mine is, some people see smashing things up as fun and that's what happened here. (Just a guess)
 LJJ77 29 Nov 2014
In reply to abseil:

A friend of mine would say we should string them up!! I don't know how damaged it is but i was taking a couple of guys from the midlands across crib goch on Tuesday who had stayed in the bothy the night before so its habitable at least and lets hope the bothy is fixed up and the idiots who did it end up locked up probably for an equally pointless crime!
abseil 29 Nov 2014
In reply to LJJ77:

Thanks for that - it's good to hear that it's still habitable, at least. Words fail me at the mindless smashing up [assuming it was mindless], though.
 marsbar 29 Nov 2014
In reply to Stopsy:

Not good.

However it may be worth bearing in mind that "Sad News" seems to be an internet euphemism for death.
 MonkeyPuzzle 29 Nov 2014
In reply to marsbar:

It shouldn't be though. "So-and-so dead" is a lot less ambiguous.
llechwedd 29 Nov 2014
In reply to Stopsy:

Called by at Dulyn today. Looks like Phil Maslen, the M.O. for the bothy has been there and tidied the place up. There were no empty gas cannisters, old food, or general crap left on the shelves and the place has been swept.

As for the vandalism,the laminated glass of the windows have been targeted- the gable end window is cracked but intact , The dorm and the room with the fire have had their windows stoved in from the inside; the perspex sheets outside these are intact and keeping the rain out. The porch window has also been smashed.

Six people stayed there last night, and two were in residence today. None of them felt the need to smash the place up.
Thanks to all the MBA work parties throughout the UK, the network of bothies continues...

OP Stopsy 29 Nov 2014
In reply to Stopsy:

Thanks for the updates one and all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...