Ski Helmets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d_b 26 Nov 2014
Last time I went skiing I noticed that I seemed to be the only person on the resort without a lid. The time before that (about 5 years ago) the only people wearing them were children...

I think I am likely to give in to peer pressure this year, and as I plan to do more skiing I am considering buying one of the things. Is there a big difference between lids, and are there any particular features I should look for?

Also: How adjustable are they? Are they more like climbing helmets where you have a big range, or more like kayaking helmets where you have a couple of inserts you can move around if you are lucky?
 tim000 26 Nov 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

i`ve just bought one and will be using it in jan for the first time. get one that feels comfortable. i tried quite a few on and some did`nt feel right . i ended up buying a giro g9 . decathlon were selling them for £69.99 but found one on line for £45. reason for buying? not really peer presure. i have snowboarded for about 10 years . normally with a group of skiers of mixed ability. the last couple of years it`s just been with one mate who is a very good skier . so tending to go a bit harder as we are not waiting for the others. last year in schladming there were very few non helmet wearers .
OP d_b 26 Nov 2014
In reply to tim000:

Skiing harder is a big part of my motivation really. The real peer pressure is from going out with people who seem intent on pushing me down runs I really don't want to do...
 Potemkin 26 Nov 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

Agree - everyone seems to be wearing them these days. Until recently, I was the guy who didn't really agree with all these new fangled ski helmets. Then I witnessed a fatal skiing accident where a lid might have saved the chap. This year, I'll be wearing one.

I did buy a Grivel Salamander climbing helmet specifically because it's one of the few that is also rated for alpine sports (which I THINK includes skiing). Most climbing helmets are not.

One more thing, I was also considering putting a go pro on my helmet, to capture all my gnarly blue-slope snow-plow action; but I heard that Schumacher's injuries were caused by a lid-mounted camera being punched through and into his head. So perhaps I won't
 berna 26 Nov 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

I found a helmet that has an "airbag" thingy at the back i.e. you put it on and then pump it (like those old trainers)supposedly should help soften the blowof hitting the ground with your head when falling backwards and reducing the risk of concussion. This because while a helmet may be hard and maybe keep you from cracking your skull it does little to absorb the shock and therefore lessen the concussion risk.

but then again what do I know, I am a rubbish snowboarder (therefore could use any help I could get) and this feature may well be just a gimmik. In any case it is quite good at helping with the fit and you can get the helmet just right by pumping...
 Chris the Tall 26 Nov 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

Been wearing one for a couple of years. Was very sceptical at first, still am, but it's not as uncomfortable as expected. I went for a Giro one as I've been very happy with their cycling helmets. Try as many on as you can and don't be too influenced by price - it's a small fraction of the cost of a ski holiday.

But I remain convinced that helmets induce people to take risks they wouldn't be comfortable with otherwise
 girlymonkey 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> But I remain convinced that helmets induce people to take risks they wouldn't be comfortable with otherwise

Davidbeynon above wrote:
Skiing harder is a big part of my motivation really. The real peer pressure is from going out with people who seem intent on pushing me down runs I really don't want to do...

Point proven?

OP d_b 26 Nov 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

I won't want to do them with a helmet either, and could probably be bullied into doing them without one. It's recognising ones own weakness and wanting to make the best of it '
In reply to girlymonkey:

To be fair, if you're planning on taking more risks, then having extra protection is a good idea. This is not the same as believing you'll be safer because you are wearing a helmet
In reply to davidbeynon:

I have a picture up at work that says

"The question is not can you ski it and live ? .....but can you live without skiing it ?"
 tjin 26 Nov 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

These days helmets have become more common. Even adults are wearing them these days.

Helmet features to look for:
- Ventilation holes with shutters are great
- Should have a adjustable wheel in the back
- Should have something to hold on to your goggles.

But above else, should fit you well. There are also many fancy things like aramide shells, inner and outer shells which can rotate controlledly to reduce twisting injuries, lighter weight, etc.

More protection are starting to go more mean stream. Backprotector and crashpants are also becoming more commen too. I go fully kitted up with helmet, backprotector and crashpants. Considering how often i crash, that probably a good thing...
In reply to davidbeynon:

Ski helmets are like any other piece of outdoor gear, there is a huge variety of fit, features and price. One person's helmet choice may not appeal to another due to fit, features or price. The only way to buy is to go and try loads on, and I don't just mean for two minutes. Try twenty minutes each, that's the only way you'll really see if it fits (apart from schweedcrushers which blatantly don't). It's like trying on B3 boots - what fits for five minutes with non-sweaty non-tired feet in a shop may turn out to be agony on the hill.

Ultimately having any helmet is more important than spending £395 on a V8 NASA designed futuristic composite hi tech material recommended by a Pepsi Max sponsored skier.

So I won't recommend the one I have as it may not suit your head/budget/feature list. There's no sub for trying loads on.
 steveliput 26 Nov 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

Had one for ~10years now, but was by no means an early convert. I find them to be comfier than a hat, better temperate regulation (not too hot / cold) and more comfortable for goggles. Even without safety side I'd not go back to using a hat
 wbo 26 Nov 2014
In reply to davidbeynon: My only bitch re. helmets is that I have a climbing helmet, a couple of cycling helmets and will likely have a ski helmet too. I would much rather have a single 'do it all helmet' . It would also be good if it didn't look too frightful as well.
Helemt manufacturers take note : if it was a true, decent do it all I would even be prepared to spend decent money on one.

tjin 26 Nov 2014
In reply to wbo:

There are multisport helmets, several foam helmets are; rock, cycle and skate certified (Kong Scarab, Salewa Helium, Petzl Meteor III+, etc)

There are also several helmets which are; rock and ski based (Kong Kosmos)

Haven't seen the rock, cycle and ski based ones...
 hang_about 26 Nov 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:
I bought a helmet in Austria a few years back - not cheap but really comfortable. Having seen someone's ear nearly sliced off in a collision it's more to protect me from out-of-control idiots rather than allowing me to ski a lot harder.
Post edited at 17:18
 Taurig 26 Nov 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

My 2p: try the fit with and without the earmuff bits attached. I've found that with my helmet, the earmuffs were giving the impression of a stable helmet, when in fact with them removed it's a mediocre fit at best. Luckily it's a budget helmet bought in a sale last year, but planning on a new one this season and won't make the same mistake.
 tim000 26 Nov 2014
In reply to hang_about:
my thinking too . i i fall and some one ploughs in to me on skis or a board and hit my head it would cause a lot of damage.
Post edited at 20:54
MacKnee 27 Nov 2014
In reply to tjin:

I have a Dynafit helmet which meets the international standards as a climbing, skiing and cycling lid. A quick look around the web indicates that it is now hard to find.

http://www.tamakisports.com/products/ski/dynafit-helmet/dynafit-helmet.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...