I'm in the market for a new synthetic insulating jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 22 Nov 2014
Due the male gene which promotes user-stupidity, I practically boil washed my Montaine prism jacket to death.

So, I'm in the market for something new.

I have to admit that I loved that jacket and a Prism is high on the tick-list for a replacement, as it proved itself while walking the dog over last winter. However is their anything warmer but not much more expensive?

Thanks muchly

d_b 22 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:
I currently own something v similar from montane, and it's pretty good. The equivalent that rab were doing about 5 years ago had a slightly better pocket layout in my opinion, but it got nicked from my bag at the climbing wall and I couldn't find anyone selling it.
Post edited at 20:12
 Skol 22 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:
I was going to reply to this, 'the Lemming is selling one' you spoiled my post!
Am sorry for your loss though
 TradGSmith 22 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Montane Flux is a warmer, more technical version of the Prism, if you look around you can get it for £120 on "great outdoor super store" or last years model for £100 on Ultra Light Outdoor Gear if you're an XL, great jacket and am looking to getting one myself
andymac 22 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

My blue Montane Prism was finally battered into submission last winter on some very windy hills.

It is now a welcome work jacket for when on roofs .hood is a lifesaver.

I thought long and hard what to get for a replacement,and in the end opted for a.....

Red Montane Prism. £88 on Amazon.no brainer
Removed User 22 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I bought a synthetic jacket from Decathlon for £15 and it's pretty good, very well cut (for me) and does the job. We'll see how long it lasts.
 kingborris 22 Nov 2014
In reply to andymac:

I've got an as new prism in black with red trim, in medium for sale if you're interested?
 ianstevens 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Five posts before a Decathalon recommendation? Must be some kind of record...
In reply to ianstevens:

Well, funnily enough, whilst looking for threads with reviews of the women's Simond jacket for a similar thread, I found this thread:

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=601684

Which closes with the following suggestion:

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-avalanche-jacket-mens-443292

£40 for a 100/60g Primaloft One jacket is pretty good...
 smuffy 22 Nov 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

Don't know how good this primaloft jacket is but a couple of years ago there was a thread on here advocating the Karrimor down gillet for £18. I 've had mine a couple of years, its been the best bit of budget kit I ever purchased.
 llanberis36 23 Nov 2014
In reply to smuffy:
+1 for the Karrimor down gillet had mine for a while and great value
Post edited at 00:04
 alasdair19 23 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

the decathalon belay jacket is good and stageringly good value. you can order one from a store in a sirocco matching shade of orange for £40...

Alternatively go gucci and get the Arc teryx solo
Athletic climber 23 Nov 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

I've got the arc teryx solo and its and awesome jacket. Lightweight, warm, durable and fully DWR. The only niggle is the tight cuffs over thick gloves.
OP The Lemming 23 Nov 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

>

> Alternatively go gucci and get the Arc teryx solo

Just saw the price of that jacket. I never realised that synthetic fibres were so expensive to produced and then weave into a garment.

Thankfully I have outgrown, for some things, the gulability of marketing and the desire of possessing pseudo status.

I'm loathed to spend north of a ton for a synthetic jacket that will get trashed, but to be parted with three times this sum of money is too ostentatious.

Fraser 23 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I looked at the Prism, but eventually went for a Rab Generator which is a superb jacket. Light, warm and highly compressible.
 BnB 23 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Surprised no one has mentioned the Rab Xenon X Hoody. Not massively more expensive (£30-40 extra) than a Prism but much warmer yet lighter and more packable. It also has a more comfortable lining and being Primaloft One instead of Eco, is more breathable and snug. I have a Prism which is a superb item, and the cheapness is part of its appeal (I can throw it on the pub floor without wincing) but wish I'd got the Xenon.
 Bish 23 Nov 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

I have one of the karrimor primaloft jacket and am very impressed for £50. Not used in anger yet but feels as warm as my ME fitzroy. It says on the tag that it is an under helmet hood but I can fit it over mine without strangling myseIf However I have had a piece of elastic in the hood come loose which I sorted with a needle and thread and took 2mins.

Not bad for the price and based off first impressions I would definitely consider it again.
 nathan79 23 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

You like the Prism, I'd say get another Prism.

In the past few weeks I've bought both a Montane Flux (2013 version for £70) and a Karrimor Avalanche.

Both seem great jackets. I'd recommend giving the Karrimor a go.
Comparing the two:
Karrimor hood has a decent amount of adjustment but seems like very little information in comparison to the Flux. Flux has velcro adjustable cuffs, Karrimor's are elastic and may be a hassle when thick gloves come into play. Karrimor is Primaloft One (Not sure what insulation the newer version of the avalanche is) while the Flux is Primaloft Eco.
The Karrimor is a ridiculous bargain at 40quid.
 andrewmc 23 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:
> Surprised no one has mentioned the Rab Xenon X Hoody. [...]

Only tried mine in anger once so far on a Welsh mountain in rain and driving winds, but I have been pretty impressed so far, and although it is 'only' 60 g/cm^2 as it is a better quality of insulation (Primaloft One/Gold) than in the Montane jackets it should be nearly as warm as 100 g/cm^2 jackets using Primaloft Eco/Silver - but much lighter.
Athletic climber 23 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:
Fortunately I got mine sent in from a friend overseas, so it came in just over the ton mark.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...