Alpha/NewRange, the new javelin jacket?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steveshaking 21 Nov 2014

Are we going in marketing circles with this stuff or is there any logic to it.
For years we have used fleeces as mid and top layers and part of that has been making fleeces more windproof with membranes and tight weaves or in combination with pertex. The progression of this led us into some of the soft shell stuff.
Then some people started using thin synthetic and down garments - I guess two layers of wind proof material containing the fibers led to some problems with wicking and over retention of heat, especially at the point you add a shell.
In summary membrane fleeces and insulated mid layers can cause some over heating, wicking and drying out issues. But they do keep the wind out.
So now we are supposed to buy Alpha and patagonia's FullRange filled synthetics to get over these problems. It sounds like patagonia have managed to make an insulated top with the wind resistance of a javelin jacket and charge us a lot for the previlege. If these are the properties we need wouldn't we be better with an old fashioned fleece? Am I missing something about how these new products work?
Post edited at 15:27
 alimckay 21 Nov 2014
In reply to steveshaking:

The fleece/windshirt combo is nice and breathable and versatile however, it isn't very light or compressible. Also other synthetic insulation is very compressible but isn't breathable. I think the idea is that they are as breathable as the fleece/windshirt combo but lightweight and compressible like other synthetic insulations. In reality they'll probably be somewhere in the middle.

Also they seem to be designed for situations where you don't want to be swapping layers too often, like climbing and cycling.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...