Newbie question - Are these boots what I want?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peebles boy 21 Nov 2014
Just bought first pair of touring skis second hand (got atomic beta ride 9.22 in 170cm length with fritschi freeride bindings) and now looking for boots.

Would these suit my needs:
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/quest-access-cr-85-boots-id_8318924.html?utm_sou...

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers,
Gordon
moffatross 21 Nov 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

In my experience, a published flex of 80-90 suggests the boot is suitable for wide, gentle slopes with a nice surface, but they may not positively communicate what your feet and legs are telling your skis to do on steep, narrow and/or manky stuff.

Also, look for Tech inserts. If you routinely travel any significant distance, or do multiple climbs, you'll eventually want to change your bindings to Dynafits.
Removed User 21 Nov 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

Those look they would be good if your skiing mainly on lifts with short walks. As soon as you start to walk for a longer distance you might find that the weight and the lack of flexibility will take a considerable amount of energy out of your day. If you're touring all day then you'll spend most of it climbing, so get something that's comfy lighter and walks well.

Best to check out a bunch of different boot to get the one that fits your feet, otherwise you might end up with blisters, and further down the line bone spurs that develop with improper boot fit. Like moffatross said look for tech inserts if you can.

I skedi in stiff boots when I was on ski hills and now over the years I've gotten used to less performance and prefer a comfy lightweight boot, easier on the knees. I ski on Scarpa Maestrals, and apart from the stupid design of the tongue I like them a lot.

They might cost a little extra but you don't end up buying twice.
 spragglerocks 21 Nov 2014
In reply to peebles boy:
These boots look like freeride boots - excellent support for downhill skiing and have a walk mode so you can tour in them for the odd day but the weight and relatively unsophisticated walk mode means you may want something more touring specific for a hut to hut tour.

If you've not skied before something like this or similar is a good choice as it will help you ski better downhill (these are a good compromise: www.backcountryuk.com/tecnica-cochise-110-62490-p.asp). If you're fit you wont find the uphill too bad on a day tour but it you can't ski and your boots aren't very supportive (like some touring boots), you'll struggle. For info the Tecnica ones have changeable soles so you can use them with pin bindings too going forward.

It's also really important that the boots fit you well and that's almost more important than whether they are touring or freeride. If you're down in Yorkshire at all it's worth popping in to Backcountry in Ilkley for a chat. They do ski boot fitting and stock a range of touring kit - they'll never over-sell and I walked out with the cheapest pair of boots they stock as they fit me best (an older version of the Tecnica ones for what it's worth, which I've day toured on and skied in resort loads, they've been great to learn with).

Also have a look here for an excellent guide to kit from Al Powell, (BMG): www.alpine-guides.com/skiing/advice/ski-touring-equipment-advice.htm. His advice is specific to British skiers looking to tour in Europe and takes into account the fact that many Brits don't get to do enough skiing to justify multiple setups.
Post edited at 15:12
 blurty 21 Nov 2014
In reply to spragglerocks:
Another vote for Backcountry - really excellent, pains-taking service.

(& I'm afraid to say that Lockwoods need approaching with caution. I've seen them in action (and heard others say the same) they don't give good Touring boot advice imo)
Post edited at 16:16
 DaveHK 21 Nov 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

A 'walk mode' does not a touring boot make. As others have pointed out it's likely to make walking a bit easier but wont give the movement you need for touring.

If you're touring proper touring boots make a massive difference. You don't need to go for a top end model though.
OP peebles boy 23 Nov 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

Cheers for the advice folks - as I say, new to this so good to get feedback. Reason they appealed (other than price!) was that they are a wide boot - I've got "duck feet" in that they are wide at the front but with a narrow heel, so it's tough to find things that fit.

Any recommendations then? Looking for something I can use in Scotland for general ski mountaineering type stuff, with the option of doing some low grade gullies in them. If such a boot exists...?!

Max budget of £200. Any good ski shops in Edinburgh?

Cheers,
Gordon
 girlymonkey 23 Nov 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

If these do fit you best, don't be put off too much by what the others have said! My husband has toured for several seasons now in the Quest boots. They are a bit heavy, but if you are not racing then you will be fine. They are cheaper, and do work. If you find a pair of specific touring boots that fit well and are affordable then go with them, but if your feet are awkward and these are the best, then they do work.
 damowilk 23 Nov 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

It sounds like you have similar shaped feet to me. There's no substitute to going to a decent shop and trying different brands on, but check out BD for fit, they're one of the widest over the midfoot.
I now ski TLT6s, and despite expecting a fight to get them fitted, they fit extremely well.

Another thing worth mentioning is that many who think they have wide mid or fore feet actually have feet that are collapsing at the arch or posting when they stand. A decent insert really made a big difference for fit for me, another reason to go to the best boot fitter you can.
Removed User 24 Nov 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

Another vote for BD boots if you have wide feet.
These don't look like real touring boots (backside boots according to the Salomon website ) so I'm not convinced they won't rip your feet to shreds if you really are touring rather than just walking a short distance from a lift.
Agree with the comment about buying boots that are compatible with tech (eg Dynafit ) bindings so you don't end up having to buy twice.
Happy hunting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...