Hot Aches Research Project - Help Needed

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 climberandy 17 Nov 2014
Thank you to everyone who has already filled this out (130 so far), which is a great response. I was advised to take out a premier post to keep it up the top of the forum which I will be for the next 5 weeks.

I am conducting a research project into hot aches as part of my medical degree at Dundee University.

The winter season has already begun, and if you are a winter climber, it would be great if you could spare 5 min to answer some questions on hot aches. Despite many of us being very familiar with them, as a phenomenon it is undocumented (in scientific literature) and not understood. This research it is aimed at Scottish winter climbers but any experiences of hot aches would be valuable.

This research will be used to try an understand what hot aches are to different people, and if there are any common factors that lead to them. I am also conducting a practical study to recreate hot aches in a controlled environment, i.e. not whilst climbing on Ben Nevis, to try and understand what is happening. If you are interested in participating then please complete the survey and leave your email address at the end in the space provided.

Please when asked if you have experienced hot aches answer yes or no. There are a lot of people leaving it blank!

Here is the link to the survey: http://A1Surveys.com?u=hotaches

Your help is much appreciated.

Andrew

This research has been approved by the Dundee University Research Ethics Committee: UREC 14140
 RocKalina 20 Nov 2014
In reply to climberandy:

Hi,

I am Andrew's girlfriend...and a winter climber who suffers of horrendous hot aches on every climb . I had a little peek into the survey stats and there are not many GIRLS! I know, not many women climb in winter but there must be more of us than the ones who answered so far!

So: Fill in the survey girls!
 Scott K 12 Dec 2014
In reply to climberandy:

Andrew,
Might be worth asking at Ratho as I have had hot aches climbing there in the winter. Could be a good place to do a practical study!!
OP climberandy 15 Dec 2014
In reply to Scott K:

Thanks for the idea, right now my location and methods are limited to exactly what I have in my proposal. Having said that if I pursue the idea then it is definitely worth keeping in mind. A few people now have mentioned they get them there, but I'm not sure how many yet. I have yet to go through the survey but with over 450 responses this is going to take a while!

cheers

Andrew
OP climberandy 16 Dec 2014
I just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone who has done the questionnaire, so far. So close to 500 responses!

I also want to say that I will be in touch with all the people who have volunteered for the study. This will be sometime after Christmas once I've had a chance to collect all the data.

Thank you everyone.

Andrew

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...