Knee Pain After Run

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Heaton 17 Nov 2014
Hiya,

I've recently started running again after a few months off and I've started to develop quite bad knee pain in my left knee only. It's a dull ache through the whole knee and it's been keeping me awake. I'm sure loads of people have been through this. How have people dealt with it? I'm guessing I have to stop running but can anyone recommend treatment for it. The pain is starting to affect my climbing so I want to get it fixed asap.
Thanks for any advice.
Dave
Ste Brom 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Dave Heaton:

My tuppence worth would be...
First off, get some sorbothane, with arch support.
Get a foam roller and concentrate on your ITB for a few weeks, as well as stretching your calf (could be an antagonistic muscle prob).

See how you get on then. Otherwise, next opinion please...

marzi 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Dave Heaton:

ibuprofen and ice and rest, maybe a knee brace/ support
jasonpather 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Dave Heaton:

Get your gait measured, specific shoes for your gait can help massively. Definitely worth the money.
OP Dave Heaton 18 Nov 2014
In reply to Dave Heaton:

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.
 Simon Caldwell 18 Nov 2014
In reply to Dave Heaton:

Could be anything from trivial to serious. I'd see a decent sports physio.
My own knee pain turned out to be torn cartilage which required surgery.
 Ava Adore 18 Nov 2014
In reply to Dave Heaton:

In case you don't know (I didn't until I started running), your IT band runs down the outside of your leg and, as other posters have said, it can be a cause of knee pain and rollering daily and after a run does help. Also gently stretch that muscle and other muscles in your leg after a run (or at least when the muscles are warm eg after a bath).

Have you checked your trainers? If the tread is worn or they've simply lost their "spring" from doing too many miles, it can cause problems.

May not have to stop running altogether. You could reduce mileage and speed and see how you get on. But obviously only you know what the pain/discomfort feels like - if it hurts, stop it.
 steveriley 18 Nov 2014
In reply to Dave Heaton:

It could be all sorts, including simple 'too much, too soon'. That's the easiest to eliminate by trying a bit of rest. The rule about only increasing training by 10% a time isn't a bad one. Are your shoes knackered (particularly if you land heavily on your heals [different can of worms])?
In reply to Dave Heaton:

How much running have you been doing? Common mistake is too much too soon. Running gives your tendons and ligaments a right battering and it can take a while for the adjustments to take place. Before you start thinking of solutions to ITBS you need to look at everything you're doing first. Are you running on a camber, up/down hill, unsuitable trainers, not warming up or stretching? Have a rest for about a month
then start again keeping these things in
mind. 10% increase a week as said above is a good rule of thumb. Read the Lore of
Running by Tim Noakes as it pretty much
gives you everything you needas a runner.
If symptoms persist go see your GP
 tjin 19 Nov 2014
In reply to Dave Heaton:

Sports physio. Nobody can give you a good edvice just on you discription. With running it can be overloads, stresses, but also muscle inbalance.

Unless you really damaged something, the Fysio will often recommend some muscle specific training to strenghten muscles. Turned out effective for me.
 JayK 19 Nov 2014
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Snap,

I gave up running and focused on climbing instead!
 Simon Caldwell 19 Nov 2014
In reply to JimmyKay:

I had the surgery, ignored the surgeon's advice to give up, and now do more running than ever All off-road though so kinder on the knees.
Rigid Raider 19 Nov 2014
In reply to Dave Heaton:

Why on Earth would anybody want to run around when God gave us bicycles?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...