How to attach a spinner leash to petzl nomics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Just bough a pair of nomics & i'm wondering how the best way to attach a set of spinner leashes to them is? The clip in hole is really badly placed part way up the handle so you can't clip that i'm wondering what other people do?

Cheers
 Blackmud 15 Nov 2014
In reply to 9Stevo:

Bit of tat
 goose299 15 Nov 2014
In reply to 9Stevo:

Sure the nomics are meant to be a leash less tool?
 CMcBain 15 Nov 2014
In reply to 9Stevo:
Unscrew the pommel, theres a drilled hole in the metal you can fit a loop of cord round, squeeze the pommel back on afterwards.

edit reply to above - I think leash less refers to the fact they aren't intended to be used with traditional wrist leashes. I suppose to be pedantic a 'spinner leash' should really be called a lanyard (i.e. they're used to stop you dropping a tool rather than to help you keep grip of the axe as a traditional wrist leash would).
Post edited at 23:00
In reply to 9Stevo:

As pointed out, they are essentially a leashless tool, but if you want to attach a spinner leash to them, on the new version of the Nomic, there is a small hole in the metal under the grip rest that you can thread a small bit of tat through. If you unscrew the nut that holds the grip rest in place and remove it you will spot it. For the old version of the Nomic you can put a thin cord through the hole in the handle or if you are brave, drill one where the hole in the new version is located.
Either way, it is not load bearing......

In reply to CMcBain:

Beat me to it Spot on. You don't often see true leashed climbing these days rather lanyards and more on alpine routes where there is a fear of dropping a tool.
In reply to goose299:

A spinner leash is a lanyard!!
In reply to CMcBain:

Cheers
 George Fisher 16 Nov 2014
In reply to 9Stevo:

I drilled a hole in my mk1 Nomics for some cord.

Blue ice boa leashes will larks foot through the upper hole and as there's no biner involved it doesn't screw up the grip. You can't easily unclip a tool though.
 Tim Sparrow 16 Nov 2014
In reply to 9Stevo:

Thread a bit of cord / tape through the handle and knot it so the knot is out of the way. Clip that with the lanyard. No grip problems at all.
 Si Withington 16 Nov 2014
In reply to 9Stevo:

Just to add: it's fine to add a bit of cord through the small hole hidden under the pommel, however keep an eye on it as the edges of the hole are sharp and with the pressure exerted from the pommel you may find over time that the cord has been damaged. This happens less if you file a bit off the pommel.

Yes, I know that they're not load bearing etc etc, but if you do lob onto your leashes and they hold, it's nice to have them clipped to some in-tact cord.

For what it's worth...

Si
 John Kelly 16 Nov 2014
In reply to 9Stevo:
I flogged mine and got quarks - not designed for leashes
Post edited at 20:16
 cliff shasby 25 Nov 2014
In reply to 9Stevo:

I use 10 mm troll flat tape through the hole,if it has a twist in it when tied with a tape knot it lies flat and doesn't stick out.
 EspenK 25 Nov 2014
In reply to 9Stevo:

One idea. I have the DMM leashes/lanyards, the obvious solution would be to clip these into a piece of tat or sling in one of the two holes in the handle, as described. However I have two issues with this, one is that the carabiner can unclip at the worst possible time and also I would prefer to not have a carabiner swinging around in my face while I climb, thirdly I believe plungeabilty (to degree a Nomic can be plunged) would suffer.

One alternative could be to connect the leash to a bit of sling with a mallion, this sling is then threaded through the handle like one would with the Boa leash. That way it is also possible to fully adjust the

Or just get other leashes. But I don't buying new kit just because I realise my old isn't quite what I wanted in the first place.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...