Touring & ice cragging destination

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NottsRich 15 Nov 2014
I've got a friend interested in starting out ski touring and ice climbing, but we've only got a week or maybe two to spare in Jan/Feb. The first place I thought of, only because I know it fairly well, is Chamonix. I was thinking of easy/short day tours in the Aiguille Rouge, and short ice routes at la Cremerie. He's a good skier already, just new to touring and winter climbing. Upto WI3 would be good, maybe 2 or 3 pitches at the most. It's got to be somewhere to give him a good impression of alpine mountaineering, not scare him off!

Can anyone recommend anywhere else that meets most/all of these requirements? We're looking at France, Spain and Italy I guess.

Easy to drive to and park (ie not an awkward ski resort with parking charges)
Campervan friendly (cheap/free) or cheap hostel/chalet
Piste skiing
Non-glaciated day tours (lift served if necessary)
Easily accessible ice cragging
Not interested in bars/clubs.
Cheap lifts/food/accommodation would be good!

Thank you!
 pec 15 Nov 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

I think Alpe d'Huez in France has most or all of what you want.
 smithaldo 17 Nov 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

Celliac fits the bill perfectly. But not sure on queryas touring conditions in jan/feb? Actually most places might have a lot of snow to be starting out touring then?
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 17 Nov 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

Dolomites covers all of the above except like all ski destinations it's not cheap in the winter.
OP NottsRich 20 Nov 2014
In reply to pec:

Thanks, Alpe d'Huez does seem to fit the bill quite well. Do you have any idea of where a campervan could be parked up for a week? I've not driven up to the resort before, only down towards Briancon.

smithaldo, what do you mean by too much snow? Not quite sure I follow...
 smithaldo 20 Nov 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

alpe d'huez is a complete sh*t hole with ski resort prices and the climbing doesn't form every year. I would avoid it like the plague on a climbing trip.

I meant too much unconsolidated snow for safe touring, as the prime touring season is what march/april/may and avalanche risk might be a lot higher on average in jan/feb.
 ross 21 Nov 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

Hiya, if you're driving the area around Argentiere la Bessee is good for the things you want- ice climbing in Fresseniers, Fournel, Ceillac, etc and short ski tours up small peaks where you're mainly in trees or on ridges. There are local leaflets detailing these tours. There is also Put st Vincent and another tiny ski resort which does randonee tickets cheaply, should you get bored of skinning up. There is a band stand up the Fresseniers valley where I slept one winter. Cold, but at least off the snow. Helen at Alpsun offers good accommodation which is as cheap as anywhere if you fancy staying indoors.
Hope you have a great trip!
In reply to NottsRich:

Hi yep Ecrin's around briancon is a good bet, there's good snow already got a few tours in this weeks, the ice hasn't been at its best three last few years but always something to do around the time your thinking, I have a PDF flyer that gives you some examples of ice and tours of you are interested drop me a email

I live out here and happy to help with advice local info etc

Cheers Rob
 tjekel 21 Nov 2014
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Have a look at gasteiner tal (gastein valley). Lots of possibilities, many easy ones, good skitouring and more pistes than you may cover in a weeks time. Good ice climbing guide book by panico.
 rj_townsend 22 Nov 2014
In reply to ecrinscollective:

If you're sending the PDFS to the OP, could you please also send it to rj_townsend@hotmail.com?

Many thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...