Has anyone else been winter climbing this season?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
CharlesE 14 Nov 2014
I saw on here a blog and pictures of some guys climbing in winter this eseon in northern corries and also theBen.

I hope to get aloaot of winter done this year and was wondering if people think it is OK to go so far as to do more like with dry rock?

I'm keen to get more experience of the was of Scotland, gully and ridge.

I asked my partner if he was syked for drytooling this sundau but he threw was his pen so maybe not.

CharlesE
 ianstevens 14 Nov 2014
In reply to CharlesE:

There is extenisve drytooling on the bridge under which you reside.
Removed User 17 Nov 2014
In reply to CharlesE:

Tried to go to the ice centre in kinlochleven a few weeks ago but there was a few landslides because of the rain and the road was shut from fort william
 d_b 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Removed UserOld but keen:

The long way too? That must suck for anyone living in kinlochleven.
 DannyC 25 Nov 2014
In reply to CharlesE:

There's been next to no routes done this season (none since a couple in the Northern Cairngorms in the first week of November?) and with more hot temps forecast for a week or so, it might be a while off yet. I can't be alone in feeling a little impatient now...!

D.
In reply to CharlesE:

Dusting of snow on the highest tops again yesterday I was walking on Ben Lawers which had a light dusting on last couple of hundred metres. I could see some snow on Nevis and a similar dusting on the Gorms away to the north-east.
drmarten 25 Nov 2014
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Much the same today, the Grey Corries, Aonachs and Ben Nevis looked white on the very top. The Little Brenva face looked very white from
up above Loch Ossian this morning. It was bitter this morning getting off the train at the station with the platform frosted over and ice
forming on the hill above about 600m. Hee-haw snow though.

George Ormerod 25 Nov 2014
In reply to CharlesE:

<gloat mode> Was climbing steep fat ice at the weekend and things are really coming in. The pencil is nearly touching down on Polar Circus, which is said to be in good condition </gloat mode>

Sorry.
 Michael Gordon 25 Nov 2014
In reply to drmarten:

Lochnagar looked as black as anything from the road today. Definitely a slow starter this year!
 droites 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:
Agh-I'm due to head over mid January. Better buck up ASAP &#128544;&#128544;
 Michael Gordon 26 Nov 2014
In reply to droites:

Ha - plenty time til then!
 French Erick 30 Nov 2014
In reply to droites:

Could have had a full cycle of winter by then! Been here good than disappeared and on its way back by then.
I remember how I couldn't get my head round such fluctuating conditions when I first arrived in this country. In the Southern Alps (where I'm from) a cycle of good conditions was at least 3 weeks, not 3 days or sometimes 3 hours!

I console myself by reflecting on the fact that routes are all the more worthwhile for their fickle nature...or not at times
 MrRiley 01 Dec 2014
In reply to CharlesE

Basically t-shirt weather on Lochnagar yesterday, I've been up in colder weather in the summer! Stunning air clarity though, could see for ever. The ground is so warm for this time of year, the wait continues...
 grady_9 01 Dec 2014
In reply to CharlesE:

I have been checking the forecast waiting for something but still mild!!!

Drytooling at Newtyle is as good as it gets right now!!!

Suppose to be a bit of snow and freezing about 900M over today and tomorrow in the Cairngorms!
In reply to MrRiley:

I got a bit of a tan on the Ben yesterday. Not a breath of wind either.
Jim C 01 Dec 2014
In reply to Removed UserOld but keen:
Sorry if someone has replied, but why do you not try Glasgow youtube.com/watch?v=bmkbEfVTfuA&
Post edited at 12:18
In reply to grady_9:

It was 4'c on my commute home this evening from Inverness to Cannich, and raining, so reckon that should be snow on the tops by morning.
 aldo56 02 Dec 2014
In reply to CharlesE:

Cameras at Glencoe and Cairngorm are looking promising.
Chris Ellyatt 02 Dec 2014
In reply to CharlesE:
I think it's looking reasonable towards the end of this week. Temperatures are dropping in the Northern Corries to around -6 by Friday (apparently), and it looks like there was a reasonable covering last night - so with any luck, could be some acceptable mixed stuff in by the weekend!

Chris
Post edited at 10:01
 malky_c 02 Dec 2014
In reply to cannichoutdoors:

Yes, bit of a dusting on Wyvis this morning.
In reply to CharlesE:

Dusting of snow down below 600 metres today in the Central Highlands. Starting to accumulate on the tops -around 3 inches deep above 900 metres and ice starting to form on paths on east facing slopes
 Blackmud 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Chris Ellyatt:

Went for a little mountain bike ride at lunch today, the snow cover looked like it was down to about the top ski car park, not quite a plastering though. Taken at about half 2 today, Northern Corries on the right: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7478/15906186906_1a9de163cc_o.jpg
jparker 04 Dec 2014
In reply to CharlesE:

Me and friend got a route done in coire an t-sneachda (invernookie) on tue, wasn't in good condition after fri could be ok
Tim Chappell 05 Dec 2014
In reply to CharlesE:
Myself, I'm itching to go skiing. Or climbing. Or both. It'll come, it'll come, it'll come...

I drove past Perth on my south to my father's on Tuesday. From the elevated part of the Perth bypass you look across to the hills beyond Dunkeld. Normally you don't realise that from there you can also see Cairn Toul and Ben Macdui. But on Tuesday the Cairngorms were white, and they were looming magnificently out of the sunshine over the brown hills of Glen Shee, in a whole other dimension of aboveness.

Someone was trying to persuade me to put in for a job in Texas the other day. It's things like this that guarantee that my response is always going to be 'No way San Jose'.
Post edited at 10:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...