Running in cornwall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
notaclue 14 Nov 2014
looking at a job in cornwall - primarily based in St Austell

Anyone got any idea of what off road running is like in Cornwall - is it all coastal paths?

Do they do any ultras/ other off road races?

Tom Last 14 Nov 2014
In reply to notaclue:
Hi notaclue.

I live just outside St Austell, job with Imerys?

Running in Cornwall is generally pretty strong. Lots of road running events throughout and a fair bit of off road. The Coast paths especially in St Austell area (because it's quiet) are really good. Lots of ascent and descent, so pretty good for training for hills/fells. Local club is St Austell RC which has about 400 members. Local shop is Personal Best Running run by Andy Trudgian, who also runs MudCrew (off road events). Off road events there's not really much. Imerys marathon (on clay trails) Brown Willy New Years day run. 5 Tors (7 miler) in April. You do actually have a local ultra The Roseland August Trail which is a MudCrew event. More stuff a little further afield in Cornwall and Devon (on Dartmoor).
All in all a pretty good place to live. The Coast paths really are great. Lots of climbing close to St Austell too and 10 lifetimes worth within an hours drive.
Cheers,
Tom
Post edited at 14:26
 mbh 14 Nov 2014
In reply to notaclue:

I live in Bodmin, not far from St Austell.

Even if there were only the coast path for off-road running, you' could have a great time just doing that. You can get quite a lot of ascent in, if you want that, in some parts, and can often either do out and back runs along the path, or make a decent loop via inland paths and minor roads. I have done many loops like that don't go on the roads at all.

Apart from the coast path, though, there is also Bodmin Moor not far away. which is a wilder, more fell-like environment in which you are often off-path, never mind off-road.
 Wonrek 14 Dec 2014
In reply to notaclue:
Cornwall has a bright and active running scene. Whether it's road or trail there's races and clubs for pretty much every taste. There a road and trail series of races, lots of club and ad hoc organised group runs.

Basically you're absolutely spoilt and living and training here it stands me in good stead for running all over the uk including mountain races

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...