Hilleberg tent advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sean1 14 Nov 2014
I would like some feedback on Hilleberg tent if any one has one. I am going to upgrade my tent that I have had for the past 24 years. I have narrowed it down to a Hilleberg tent. I have been looking at the Nammatj 3, Jannu and Kaitum. The Nammatj 3 as it has a more room for not much weight penalty than the two. The Tarra and Staika look good but for hiking you are defiantly carry a bit of weight. Fine if it is extreme winter. I do like the idea of the Black range of there tents with the more robust floor, walls and zips over the red range. I would be using it for base camping on rock climbing trips overseas 2-4 weeks (carried in a backpack) and at home. Also for hiking in the mountains on some exposed terrain but not in winter. I would want a larger 2 man tent or 3 man for space. Any help on the above tents would be much appreciated .
needvert 14 Nov 2014
In reply to sean1:

I have a Jannu, it's a great tent. Biggest complaint for me would be the end wall is sloping so if you have a long bag it might touch the wall at the foot of, not a big deal.
OP sean1 14 Nov 2014
In reply to needvert:

Hi Needvert,
Thanks for the reply. The tent I have is very slopey and shorter than the Jannu. Does your sleeping bag get damp from you pushing the inner to the outer? Would or do you use a footprint? or is the floor pretty tough. How are the zippers on the Jannu? How is the space for two? e.g. sidewalls and the back sloping? Apologies for all the questions.
 toad 14 Nov 2014
In reply to sean1:

I've a kaitum which I've used 3 season camping in the uk. Probably over specced for that, but it did sterling service on a months trip to iceland, which is what I bought it for. I did buy a footprint as well, but it's still light if you're flying/ humping it into a base camp
 RR 14 Nov 2014
In reply to sean1:

A tent for 24 years! I doubt if your Hilleberg is going to last that long. The fabric is very, very good and unbelievable strong of Hilleberg, no doubt about that. But the sewing is not getting better over the years. An other weak point are Hilleberg’s zippers. It’s my third Hilleberg (Jannu, Keron3GT and the Saivo.) Had to replace the zipper of the inner tent of the Jannu. The zippers of the inner tent of the Keron are also pretty weak and are ready for a change. A non-closing zipper can be uncomfortable in strong snowy conditions. Strange enough the zippers of my North Face tents do last. (VE25, Mountain 25, Cirrus). The fabric of TNF is not that UV proof though.
I would consider now (have a look at) Helsport tents.
http://www.helsport.no/storsylen-x-trem-2 or a similar one to Hillebergs Nammatj.
But mind my N=3 for Hilleberg. So statically it is non-info, but if you read on the Internet I find the word zipper and Hilleberg quite often.
OP sean1 14 Nov 2014
In reply to toad:

Hi Toad, thanks for the reply. Knowing now what you know about the Kaitum would you purchase it again or would you choose something different? Do you think the tent floor needs the footprint? Which size of tent do you have?
OP sean1 14 Nov 2014
In reply to RR:

Thanks RR for replying. I know it's a long time but it has been a trusty tent but now it needs to rest it's getting old. I thought the zipper on the Keron would have been tougher. Do you think that it is the design of the tent that puts more pressure resulting in more wear on the zipper? I have read quite a few posts about the Hilleberg zippers. I can't understand how their zippers have more issues than other tents that use the same, other than more people post about Hilleberg because of the price of the tent in the first place and zippers are failing or playing up equally across the board. Would you buy the Jannu again? Have to look into your recommendation.
cb294 14 Nov 2014
In reply to RR:

Three Hilleberg tents in my family, no issues with zippers at all. From what I have seen in friends´ tents, the zippers appear to be more of an issue with a few, dome type models such as the Staika where cross loading may happen more easily than in the tunnel type tents (one vertical zip in the side wall of the inner tent, and the air vent on top regulated by leaving the zipper part open).

Anyway, for the purposes you describe I would recommend a three person version without the extended porch. I have the Keron 3, no issues for 15 years, and it is nice and roomy yo you can sit out a few days of crap weather in basecamp in relative comfort. Also, these 2.5 person tents are wide enough that you can bring the backpacks inside and put them between you, again nice in bad weather or dodgy areas.

I just also bought a Nammatj 3 for my daughter, who wants to go hiking with friends in Sweden next summer. Lighter than the Keron with only one apsis, but otherwise has the same advantages. The bit of extra weight relative to a Nammatj 2 is definitely worth it.

The Tarra is absolutely bomb proof, but indeed rather heavy. I mainly use it in winter or in polar regions.

Cheers,

CB
 ChrisRGX 14 Nov 2014
In reply to sean1:

We used the Nammatj 3 GT (extended vestibule version) on Denali and I can't fault it. It's a robust tent and the extra room was just what we needed. Hilleberg have a reputation of building top quality tents and my experience certainly backed that up. It coped with everything the weather could throw at it and was relatively easy to pitch and pack. For your needs, you don't need the extra vestibule space though (especially if backpacking). We went with a 3 person tent to give us more room/comfort for the trip.

Given that you mention not using the tent in winter, I'm not sure you'll need something like the Nammatj as I think that's one of their top of the range mountain/exped tents.

Hope that helps

Chris
 toad 14 Nov 2014
In reply to sean1:

I've been very happy with the tent. It's the 3 person size which means there's room for your stuff inside if there are 2 of you. It could do with some bigger fly sheet storage - I might have gone for the nallo gt with hindsight. Biggest issue is that I probably didn't need something so highly specced, but I was seduced by a very nice tent and I did appreciate the weight saving. It's very light weight so I think it needs the footprint somewhere stony - definitely in iceland, but the thing is if you know you won't need it you don't need to take it.
 IPPurewater 14 Nov 2014
In reply to toad:

I've had a Nallo 2 for about 12 years. No problem with the zips on it at all.
Dorq 14 Nov 2014
In reply to sean1:

Buy two tents: one 4 season geodesic for 'base camp' from a secondhand website and one 3-4 season backpacking tent, also from a secondhand website. TN Quasar type and MSR Hubba type?

The Jannu looks as though it provides sidewall strength at the expense of porch space - it really slopes shallow at the front. The tunnels should be strong enough with the right poles, though noisy and disturbing in high winds. Any tent that has a long slope at one end may make sleeping a pain if you happen to position it 'wrong' and end up with your face in the fabric, slapping you on the head. I therefore prefer symmetrical inner designs.

I have an old Nallo, made in Sweden, that became the Nammatj I think, and it has survived many storms and has been repaired numerous times, elastics replaced (DIY); never had a zip problem so likely a design thing as mentioned (and the zip has been mistreated). When the poles started failing, I replaced them with stronger ones intended for the Nammatj and I was impressed how immovable they are in very high winds; so I think the DACs at 10mm are great.

The only thing I dislike about Hilleberg are the prices - such a deflation resistant commodity! But they are at the top of the Ethical Consumer tables and because they usually fulfil function over form, they aren't (yet?) a symbol of outdoor gentrification, as are Patagucci and Aristocratyx (much to my chagrin). Wink.

Jon
OP sean1 14 Nov 2014
In reply to cb294:

Thanks cb294,
There is probably something in the design or leaving the zip partially open to zip demise. Wonder what Hilleberg s take is on that? Is the only difference between the Keron 3 and Nammatj 3 the extra vestibule?
OP sean1 14 Nov 2014
In reply to ChrisRGX:

Thanks Chris, Thinking more of longevity for not much more weight. One thought would be the floor material more robust being the same as the lighter floor material and footprint, etc.
OP sean1 14 Nov 2014
In reply to IPPurewater:

Thanks IPPurewater,
OP sean1 14 Nov 2014
In reply to Dorq:
Thanks Dorq, The stronger poles sound like a big plus. Would you buy another Hilleberg tent again? The price is high but the price of my old tent back then, the Hilleberg s are cheaper. There is some truth in, generally you get what you pay for.
Post edited at 20:26
Dorq 14 Nov 2014
In reply to sean1:

I doubt it. With other large brand 'Scandi' makers such as Nordisk (for lightweight) and (Helsport) for winter, I don't think the prices Hilleberg set are worth it. I have used a Helsport and think that their tents are very good.

For value: I would probably get an MSR Hubba because they are so popular, they must be good, and the designs seem practical? For winter, I would probably try Crux - good materials, respectable price for a small brand. Exped Orion or Venus also look like great tents, for year round outer-pitch-first. I think all the aforementioned come with taped groundsheets, something that seems to elude Hilleberg to this day.

The poles at 10mm might be 'overkill', as they are only 8-9mm on their other four seasons. The reason I like them is more related to the fact that tunnel tents in a storm can be nerve-wrecking, so to look out and see the poles so stable can be calming for someone of my nature. I would not buy a tunnel again, however, especially one that slopes so much at one end.

I am surprised there isn't some kind of 'field replaceable' zip out there. Sea to Summit should bring out a zip slider that screws together or something. Moss and MSR did have a zip that could be taken apart, at one time.

If you are a heavy sleeper, the Nammatj should be excellent in winter, but if you are a light sleeper, a geodesic of the same weight might more suited. I don't know if Hilleberg prices are high or at least stable on the auction site - you may be able to buy and sell if you don't get on with it.

As usual, there is too much choice, but Hilleberg's excessive pricing, IMO, makes it a bit simpler. One could say there has never been a better time to be into wild camping.
 JWB 14 Nov 2014
In reply to sean1:

I had a Jannu but one major complaint was when I opened the outer rain or snow would drop into the inner tent because the inner door sloped rearwards. I sold it.

I have an Acto though and love it. I expect mine to last 25 years. 13 years and still going strong.
Falk1 14 Nov 2014
In reply to sean1:
I have a Nammatj GT 2 that is at least 20 years old and I have used it in summer and winter in Scotland,Scandinavia and in Patagonia. If you buy a Hilleberg tent I would recommend one of their tunnel tents. That is the design that made these tents famous and if I buy a tunnel tent again it will be a Hilleberg. It gets noisy in high winds but after 20 years you get used to it(-: I have only replaced one pole in the past and the elastic cord in the other poles. No problem with the zippers in all these years. I have stopped using a ground sheet in the last years as I thought if the floor finally packs in then I buy a new tent. Guess what happened, the floor is still fine and I have not bought a new tent yet.
OP sean1 15 Nov 2014
In reply to Dorq:

RR suggested the Helsport above as well. Never heard of them but have had a quick browse and they look good.
More to think of. Personally I would prefer a dome type tent as I have had a tunnel tent and not really liking the slopping back. Admittedly my tent is small for a two man. I did like the Tarra but to heavy and the Jannu was reasonable weight. The wind on my tunnel tent has only been an issue in extreme winds, if fact I have been using a Thermarest Neo for the last few outings and I find that more noisy.Have you used the helsport storsylen x trem 2?
I did see they had a lighter version of the same as well.
OP sean1 15 Nov 2014
In reply to Falk1:

Thanks Falk1, Does the Nammatj slope back steeply so as to get the bottom of the sleeping bag damp?
Would you go for the same tent again or up to a straight Nammatj 3 man?
OP sean1 15 Nov 2014
In reply to JWB:

Thanks JWB, I haven't read of that problem before something to think of.
Dorq 15 Nov 2014
In reply to sean1:

Yes, the Storsylen 2+, not the red and yellow extreme version but the green one that has been discontinued I think. Apparently the design is called a 'dome' and it may be called semi-geodesic as well? Good design, same as the Orion from Exped almost, except there's one door and asymmetrical height for the Helsport. There is a youtube of the Exped Orion being tested by a german company, same with the lighter Venus (?) model, I think. On 'dome' tents, pitching outer-first, at least one of the poles extends to make a solid porch - this is missing on a tunnel unless you get the extended tunnels - and is a major benefit, IMO. The Hilleberg Allak (?) is a dome with two porches and looks good as well. I think these european dome tents are big enough for tall people, by the way.

I have seen negative things said about the Jannu design, including stuff above, enough that people ended up selling that tent anyway. It may be because I was interested in the tent at one time, however: confirmation bias.

I just checked the prices and it is amazing that you could buy two of the Exped tents for the price of one Allak. Are Estonian/East European "costs" really factors in that, I wonder?
needvert 15 Nov 2014
In reply to sean1:

Nah, bag doesn't get damp, much. The bathtub floor sidewalls do seem to attract condensation at times, possibly partly through my own doing in relation to venting. Draping a WPB jacket over the end of the bag as suggested works well enough. I'm 6', like to stretch out, and have a long bag. I do like the idea of the steep walls of the keron, though that's a whole other weight class.

Ground sheet wise, I cut a piece of tyvek to fit. Sometimes I use it sometimes I don't, hilleberg ground sheets are expensive and heavy (I had one for my soulo). Floor is tough, but it is an expensive tent and tyvek is cheap.

I do really like the pole clip system of the soulo and jannu.

The vestibule is pretty low angled so not much height to it, isn't annoying in snow as I've just dug out that area. On solid ground when you open up the vestibule you have to be a bit careful to not have a pile of fabric and zip sitting in the dirt.

Zips are fine so far, but I've probably only used it 20-30 nights. One frequent thing I read is black label has the notably tougher zip.

I'm happy with the space for two (I don't do any epic winter things, I hear it can be a bit tight with a lot of kit).

I think the tent is a good deal if bought at US prices. At UK prices... Well I'm not so sure.

I would much prefer cuben fibre over sil nylon, but at the moment that's way too expensive and the designs haven't appealed to me as far as tents go.
cb294 15 Nov 2014
In reply to sean1:

Keron 3: 2 vestibules, 3 poles
Nammat 3j: 1 vestibule, 2 poles (possibly a bit thinner than current Keron poles), bit lighter.

Keron for me all the time. If weight were an issue I should first drop a stone or two...

CB
Shearwater 15 Nov 2014
In reply to sean1:

I have a Jannu for trips with my other half (its heavier than I'd want for one person). I picked it up second hand quite cheaply because of the various niggles it has... I got it knowing those in advance, and I've been quite satisfied with it. It is a nice, solid, stable tent even in very unpleasant weather, and the weird asymmetric door on the porch makes it possible to squeeze out without getting weather in the inner. Very limited room for cooking in the porch though, but it can be done if you unclip the inner a bit and pull it back out of the way.

What I really wanted though was a 2-man, 3-poles-holding-up-the-inner tunnel tent with two porches. They're lightish for their size, and that extra pole holding out the middle of the tent will make a world of difference in crappy weather. A porch at either end means even really fluffy long sleeping bags won't get damp toes and there's loads of space. Problem is, there aren't too many tents like that. The Kaitum is one such and the Keron another, but as hardly anyone dislikes them they're much more expensive and hard to find second hand. Helsport don't seem to like 2-porch tents. The new Lightwave T25 Arctic is another interesting looking one, but it is quite heavy and uncommon so there are no reviews.

Can't help you with the Nammatj though. I'm not personally interested in 1 door 2 pole tunnels, as they inevitably have a sloping back wall and flap more in the wind, but they are light for their size...

I have 2 HB tents, both second hand, moderately used. No problems yet.
 RR 15 Nov 2014
In reply to sean1:

Most new tents perform well. I am not so impressed by reviews of people who have just bought just a new one and write while unpacking it this is the best tent I ever owned..

As I said in my earlier post I have 3 different Hillebergs. So N=3? Not quite, it is more N=1.111 or something like that. Anyways, listen well: in my opinion, their design for the Jannu and the Keron3GT is more then okay. The Saivo is a drawing room product, I think, very stable, but you cannot cook easy inside like in the Keron. The footprint of the Saivo is as big as the Keron3GT. Snow stays (and rain) on the vestibule and falls inside not with the Keron or the Jannu.

The fabric is, as said, very robust. Hardly any damage while my climbing partner walked the over the vestibule with his poons (also known as crampons). We were sort of tried.

The zippers . . .
I use T-Zip as a lubricant for the Zippers. Don’t use McNett stuff for zippers as you can use then as well an old candle. T-Zip is the same stuff you use for the zippers of La Sportiva Battura’s or Scarpa Phantoms. By the way, I buy T-zip at a scuba diving shop, way cheaper then in an outdoor shop. But even though I have a zipper problem with the Hillebergs. In my opinion it is a construction “question/thing” a sharp corner in combination with a weak zipper.

Would I buy again my “old” Jannu? Yes, immediately without hesitation: Yes if the same quality and price. With the Keron3GT (8 years old) I am still very happy, though in some minor details I can see some finishing flaws (taping is just not everywhere straight as well as some of the stitching) but overall very okay. With the Saivo the stitching is just wrong, parts turned up side down in the inner tent, it is even obvious for a blind person. It won’t collapse and I made a good trip with it, but… It is for me way too much marketing language and not enough quality. Black label. Whisky talks at an exclusive single malt price. All I want a decent reliable tent (that lasts).

Anyways have your eyes wide open. Maybe Exped or ... ? But check it physically for flaws before you rub the numbers of your credit card off.
 Toerag 17 Nov 2014
In reply to sean1:

I've a Kaitum 2 and it's fookin' mahoosive - It's very long (possibly an issue on confined pitches) and comfortably wide enough for 2. 3 people would fit in it toe to tail I reckon if you had to. Full sit-up headroom form end to end. Things to note - it takes 18 pegs to fully pitch, my old Vaude Mk3 only needed 10. You get condensation on the inner if you're not careful. I often use mine on my own and have found that having the inner solid doors half opened down at both ends makes a difference. I always leave the vents open on the porch doors. The flysheet material stretches/sags a lot when wet so you need to go out and re-tension if it rains in the night and slacken off if it's a basecamp tent and you are away from it all day in the sun. I have a footprint for it as my groundsheet wore out first on my Mk3 from use on hard euro/US campsites. I think it is a good tent, it just requires some thought to get the best out of it. I bought it because a) it pitches outer first and I'm often pitching in the rain; b) it's long - I'm 6'1" and my feet used to push the inner against the fly on my mk3; c) it's light ;d) it has two porches - one to put crap in, one to cook in .
OP sean1 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Shearwater:

Thanks Shearwater,
Would you pay full price for Jannu, knowing what you know now?
OP sean1 17 Nov 2014
In reply to RR:

Thanks again RR. Good tip for the zips,thanks. I have a mate that has had an Exped and says never again. Looking a bit more into the Helsport tents but are hard to find much in English, they look like an good option as if I'm not already have enough options. There is more positives than negatives for Hilleberg tents. I'm slowly coming to reason that I'm really going to get 2 tents over time. More of the base camping type first.
OP sean1 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Toerag:

Thanks Toerag,
Do you really need to tension and slacken off the flysheet? Is it Hilleberg recommendation? Is it because the Kaitum has the lighter fabric?
Shearwater 17 Nov 2014
In reply to sean1:

> Would you pay full price for Jannu, knowing what you know now?

Tricky question. I wasn't ever intending to pay full price for any HB tent. I stuck with my ancient Vango and tried not to break it until a suitable deal appeared. Would I buy a Jannu again, at a sensible second hand price? Certainly. It is a really nicely put together tent; it really is a step above many of the other manufacturers. Given the materials they use the cost isn't really surprising, especially given that other manufacturers selling the same sort of gear aren't noticably cheaper.

At full list price though? I'd probably say no... its a lot of money, and for a similar amount of cash you could get yourself two tents, one for when you needed something compact and tough for using up a mountain, and one for when you had a bit more space and a bit more forgiving conditions.

(Incidentally, if you wanted to have a look at some Helsport gear, you might drop a line to Tamarack who seem to be the only resellers in the UK. They might let you put one up and peer at it more closely.)
 Toerag 17 Nov 2014
In reply to sean1:

Yes - unless you tighten it up really hard it will slacken enough to let the inner and outers touch, and of course the chances are that the inside of the fly will be damp with condensation if it's raining. I suspect it's because it's a long tent therefore the length it slackens to is relatively high compared to the distance between inner and outer. A short section of elasticated something in the end guys will probably solve the problem - one of those bungee pegging loops would do it. I've never known a tent fly to expand and contract as much, including cotton ones.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...