Wiesbadener Hut

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JGY 13 Nov 2014
Can anyone who's been to the Wiesbadener Hut provide some info for me. I'm going on a ski-tour in the first week in March and was wondering about the possibility of me escaping back to the valley on my own, a day earlier than the rest of the team. I would want to descend down the valley past the lake to the main Galtur/Ischgl road.

Obviously the snow and weather conditions at the time would be the main factor in this but I just wanted to know from someone with some local knowledge.

I the option feasible in favourable conditions or should I just forget about it?
 Turfty 13 Nov 2014
In reply to JGY:

Descended from Wiesbadener Hutte to Wirl a couple of years ago by ascending couple of hundred metres to the Radsattel then down the Bieltal via Engadiner Hutte to Wirl. Think this is the way it is normally done but could be wrong. Navigation up to Radsattel takes a little care if visibility not the best though, unless fresh snow, there will be tracks to follow!
 SiWood 14 Nov 2014
In reply to JGY:

The route out to the road from the Weisbadner hut is OK. I have done it in very poor viz after a 1m snow dump so had to break trail all the way down. There was a line of posts to follow and in good conditions there is probably a good track to follow as this is the supply route to the hut. Like all those narrowish valleys in that area it is avalanche prone from slopes above but never steep enough at the valley floor. The skate across the lake to Bielerhohe is fine also.
The problem we had was on arriving at the Bielerhohe the road back to Galtur was very avalanche prone from above so we had to descend into Partenen. Under stable conditions you can just ski down the road.
In reply to JGY:
Have stayed in Wiesbadener hut numerous. The track to the lake and road towards Galtur are easy to follow the upper section is certainly marked with withies. I have skied from the hut to Galtur with no problems, can be avalanche prone however. The hut is supplied by snow cat and the hut has a couple of the friendliest wardens going so they will definitely be able to offer advice.

Post edited at 15:17
 wout 18 Nov 2014
In reply to JGY:
Did a skitour last winter from Wirl to Piz buin and back. Route finding to the hut can't be easier because of langlauf routes, poles and piste bully tracks. It's not technical, it's flat (not just the lake), so wax on. Its possible if you know what you're doing. Grtz.
Post edited at 19:56
 Oceanic 19 Nov 2014
In reply to JGY:
I've descended that way in a near whiteout, it didn't feel difficult or stressful.
Post edited at 21:33

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...