Opinion Piece: Get Off Our Land Rover

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH Articles 13 Nov 2014
The first vehicle to arrive on the summit (...the photo that evaded deletion)., 4 kbA recent advertising shoot for 4x4 vehicles has damaged the grassy slopes of a prominent Snowdonia mountain. It also exposed a weakness in the ability of public bodies to protect National Park landscapes, argues Garry Smith. Insensitive? He thinks so.

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=6810
 Tom Hutton 13 Nov 2014
In reply to UKH Articles:
Well written and well said Garry. This is a disgrace and worse that the NPA and everyone else are powerless to stop it...
 Tom Hutton 13 Nov 2014

Anyone else interested? Have asked Land Rover what they are up to via twitter @LandRover_uk

Would be good to see them take a bit of flak for this!
 Andy Say 13 Nov 2014

One of the photos (bottom R) shows use of a tracked vehicle that appears to have caused minimal damage compared to the tyre tracks overlaying it. The fencing contractors?
 Allan Young 13 Nov 2014
In reply to Tom Hutton:

apart from Land Rover being a sizable organisation that I suspect will shrug this off, the whole episode leaves a couple of their "Brand Ambassadors" in an awkward situation...

Kenton Cool, is he likely to come out against a big sponsor, support them or just keep quiet?
and
Monty Halls, described as a "conservationist" on the Land Rover website - priceless!

Such are the perils of taking the corporate coin!

Allan Young 13 Nov 2014
In reply to Allan Young:

Plas y Brenin have just tweeted that there are some Land Rover employees attending an adventure skills event this weekend.

I wonder if any of the PyB staff will point out the need to minimise impact when out on the hills!
 toad 14 Nov 2014
In reply to Allan Young:
Bit of a sorry situation really. I'm not convinced about anything relating to this, and I'll hold my hand up as a 4x4 driver. Seems a pretty backdrop has trumped good sense. I'd have hoped for better from a prestigious brand.

Justin Brown 14 Nov 2014
Here we go again, the righteous few moaning again just because someone else doesn't fit in with your ideology.

Quote- ' They have left an undeniable mess, wheel ruts scoured into the wet ground'.

Picture three shows a bit of a boggy mess, true, but in six months those ruts will have completely disappeared. What baffles me about this picture is that whoever took it, in trying to make out the fact there has been a wrongdoing has inadvertently captured a section of crazy paving laid specifically for walkers because they are doing to the landscape exactly the same thing as what a vehicle has supposedly done!

If you are going to publish pictures that are to demonstrate that a person is at fault don't include something that 'incriminates' yourself too. Those pavings that are alien to that landscape will still be there scarring the ground for generations to come, and long after those ruts have gone too.

Picture four. For the record, Land Rover only make tracked vehicles to special order, they would not have taken a tracked vehicle up there so once again you are sensationalising a minor inconvenience to a Snowdonian hillside. The picture is irrelevant.

On another note, had the farmer driven his tractor up there with a sheep trailer on the back and caused rutting would you be up in arms about that too? You people need to get a sense of perspective, why don't you whinge about something that could actually have a positive effect, maybe complain about the lack of funding for Midwives in the NHS, or the millions of pounds a day we send to the EU. Are you this outraged by potholes in the road? Probably not.

So, Land Rover, a major British employer have dropped a slight clanger, WHO CARES!

Land Rover have fantastic motto- One life, LIVE IT!

Maybe you moaning minnies should consider that instead of pulling your miserable faces at some erroneous pictures and a load drivel written by someone who is trying to be seen to be doing a good deed.

Bla bla bla....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...