New 4 season tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rhoppen 12 Nov 2014
Hi all,

I’m looking for a new tent. I want to use the tent on solo winter trips and high altitude summer trips. For example Aconcagua in summer, crossing Hardangervidda in winter etc.
As there aren’t many 1P 4 season tents I’m asking for your experiences/tips.

Greetings,
Rik.
 d_b 12 Nov 2014
In reply to rhoppen:
I have used a hilleberg akto in some absurdly bad winter weather. It's not freestanding though, which is a deal breaker for some people.

Advantages: Light, tough, good aerodynamic shape, big porch.
Disadvantages: Not that big inside, vents could be better placed, not freestanding.
Post edited at 10:26
 HeMa 12 Nov 2014
In reply to rhoppen:

Get a small 2p 4season dealio...

For light weight, something like MHW Direct2 or EV2 might fit ya.

Akto certainly will be good as well (but as stated, not free standing).
OP rhoppen 12 Nov 2014
In reply to HeMa:

And what about the BD hilight?
 HeMa 12 Nov 2014
In reply to rhoppen:

Most likely it would also be OK...

But then again, I prefer to have room inside the tent... When the site hit's the fan, it's nice that you can keep yout stuff inside and still have room to cook...

But I haven't been on Aco, only Norway (winter and summer) and Alps.

BTW. I would still think about I-tent instead of hilight.

That said, my friends had no problems using a Firstlight in Patagonia...
 Siward 12 Nov 2014
In reply to HeMa:

Hilleberg soulo perhaps?

2.4kg but solidly made
 bluebealach 12 Nov 2014
In reply to Siward:

> Hilleberg soulo

+ 1 for this tent. Apart from 'maybe' the weight, you wont find many faults on this tent.

sbc_10 12 Nov 2014
In reply to bluebealach:

These come with a good reputation. You can add an external exo-skeleton to beef it up for the 4 seasons.

http://www.tarptent.com/scarp1.html
 RR 12 Nov 2014
In reply to rhoppen:

-1 for Hilleberg. Why?…. Pos. the fabric is stunning, the design fabulous good. It’s my third Hilleberg. Neg. The quality of the making is getting poorer every tent and the price higher. Also quite heavy.
I would consider a Bibler I-tent (twice used in the Alaska Range) or the BD First Light (once used in the Alaska Range) or similar (rab, MHW EV etc). The I-tent is rainproof the First Light not so.
Depends also how long your trips are going to be. Waiting out a storm in a roomy tent is great, less condensation. May be a double wall like the Helsport Storsylen X-Trem 2+.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...