Broken bike frame

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pids 11 Nov 2014
Have an old Gary Fisher Big Sur MTB, its about 14 years old now and has seen plenty of good use, last few years I changed the front forks to rigid forks and used it only for commuting - managed to crack the frame on it last week though.

I realise that the bike is 14 years old but do these not come with a "lifetime" guarantee?

Is it worth the hassle of contacting the bike shop I bought it off and seeing if they can source me a replacement or will they just laugh at me for being a chancer?
 rallymania 11 Nov 2014
In reply to Pids:

not sure what GF's warranty situation is (with some the manufactures it could be warrantied for 5 years some for lifetime... but it's against manufacturing defects, not wear and tear or impact damage) however there's a few things to consider.

even if they replace the frame for free, it's unlikely they'll replace the bits of your current bike that don't fit the new frame, replacement parts and all the labour might work out pricey (the warranty is unlikely to include labour)

there's a tiny chance there might be an exact replacement for your frame somewhere and it certainly would hurt to ask the importer. GF are now owned by trek, do you know if it's a trek era machine or origonal?
OP Pids 11 Nov 2014
In reply to rallymania:

think this it is def a GF frame, not a track owned frame

not bothered about them doing the fitting / labour, just a chance of a freebie frame to allow me to build a commuting bike, which is essentially what I have lost

give it a try I suppose
MHutch70 11 Nov 2014
In reply to Pids:

'Lifetime' warranties on bike frames normally apply to the expected lifetime of a mountain bike, rather than your lifetime. Fourteen years is pretty good going.

The Gary Fisher bike company no longer exists, it was taken over by Trek some time ago. So your best bet is to head into your nearest Trek store and ask for a new Remedy.
 Bob Hughes 11 Nov 2014
In reply to Pids:

trek bought Fisher in 1996 so it's probably a trek-owned frame
 Chris the Tall 11 Nov 2014
In reply to Pids:

I've had 2 replacement frames from Gary Fisher, so can assure you that they do honour the lifetime guarantee. Yes the brand is now less distinct within Trek (a mistake IMHO), but that hasn't changed things. In fact Gary Fisher now claims he gets to run the whole company now !

In both cases the breaks have come on the chain stay
With the first one (a Tassajara) I contacted them via their website, explained that the shop where I bought it had disappeared, but since I was able to find proof of purchase they arranged to send me a frame to my nearest dealer.

With the second (a full-suss) I thought I would simply need a new swingarm, but the shape had changed and I ended up with a new frame and various new components.

So first step is the shop where you bought it, but if they aren't around you'll need to go to your local trek dealer with some proof of purchase.
 balmybaldwin 11 Nov 2014
In reply to Pids:

I know a friend recently had his 14 yr old Specialized frame replaced after a crack in a weld, so worth a try
In reply to Pids:

Main question: steel or aluminium?

Steel can probably be repaired. Aluminium not so easily?

Picked at random from Google:

http://spirecycles.co.uk/services/aluminium-and-steel-bicycle-frames-repair...
 Dark-Cloud 11 Nov 2014
In reply to Pids:

I think you are being a bit of a chancer but worth a try, have a read here:

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/support/warranty/
 Skinny 11 Nov 2014
In reply to Pids:
Hello,

Oddly My GF Paragon broke about a month ago. After contacting the bike shop where I bought it 16 years ago, Trek have honored the life-time warranty on the frame and provided me with the option of a value towards something new.... Given my old Paragon was 26" wheel, V-brakes etc... the frame choice replacements on offer were limited.
I opted to take the value from a new bike and took a chance to upgrade (with Wife's permission).

Trek and the bike shop were very good, and although I can whine about my old Paragon breaking, I was pleased that it was still possible to get something.

Good luck. If Trek don't respond to any emails directly, then try a local dealer and get their help.
Post edited at 21:20
 Chris the Tall 11 Nov 2014
In reply to Skinny:

> Trek and the bike shop were very good, and although I can whine about my old Paragon breaking, I was pleased that it was still possible to get something.

Given my record (see above) Trek may not want my custom, but the good service I've had from them means that I will probably buy another MTB from them (have 3 already). Plus you only have to hear Gary fisher talk to want his name on your bike. A true icon and inspiration.
 Timmd 12 Nov 2014
In reply to Pids:

If you do have no luck, they should be able to fix it here.

http://www.vernonbarkercycles.co.uk/
 Timmd 12 Nov 2014
In reply to Pids:

Unless it's carbon, they don't say anything about carbon...
 balmybaldwin 12 Nov 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Carbon is much easier to fix... just less people do it... Sailing (racing dingy) boat repairers would be a good place to start

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...