Jetboil. Flash or Sol.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climbwhenready 04 Nov 2014
I think these brand names are thought up by dudes who send totally sick routes.

Anyway. Flash or Sol? Seems to be very little difference, unless I'm missing something. The flash is a bit smaller and more expensive? Is that it? I'm looking for something lightweight for 2-person wild camping trips, it should be able to boil some water.
In reply to climbwhenready:

I'm not convinced that Jetboil et al are lighter or more compact than a conventional burner, pan and windshield. And the Sol and Flash are certainly less versatile, due to the tall pot.

Yes, they use less fuel, but fuel is only one aspect of system weight, and how much fuel you carry will depend on the length of your trip, and how much boiling/cooking you do each day.

If you're really after something that is lightweight and compact, then I'd look at the total system weights for the sort of trips you do, and look at a number of different options, to include pressurised liquid, gas, meths and solid fuel stoves.

Then look at the subjective issues, such as personal preference, desire for speed, ease of use, ability to hang the stove in a tent, etc. And decide which stove system is best for you and the sort of trips you do.

I'd only use a Jetboil-style if I needed to use the stove in hanging mode. YMMV...

The sol is the smaller one. Avoid the titanium version. It is susceptible to melt down its heat exchanger.
The flash is a bit larger and a bit heavier. Better suited for two persons.
Both work great for boiling water and melting snow - and not so good for real cooking.
needvert 05 Nov 2014

The sol is advertised as having:
"Jetboil Regulator technology - consistent heat down to 20° F (-6° C)"

I haven't noticed such marking in the flash.

I agree re consider the cooking system, but...having an insulated pot that interlocks with the burner is really handy. Not saying one should, but I've used mine while sitting in the passenger seat on the highway.

I opted for a sol, and bought a sumo pot later.

The reactor is interesting, I want don't really have any application for something of its particular characteristics.

In reply to captain paranoia:

yeah, I have. There's about 110g in it, less if you take away the weight of a mug. The amount of time it can take to get near-freezing water to boiling when you want something warming sooner rather than later, plus ability to (carefully) use inside a tent, is why I'm looking at Jetboil. The Brunton screw-on is there for trips where we want to do proper cooking.
In reply to Sir Stefan:

Thanks, maybe the flash then. I'm not sure the regulator technology is worth switching systems for!

Sorry if I seemed a bit 'preachy'; too many people are attracted by the 'lightweight' claims of the Jetboil, and the bling features, when more conventional systems might better suit their needs for weight, packed size and versatility, and I was hoping to make sure you didn't spend of lot of money on something unsuitable for your needs.

You've obviously considered your needs carefully, and the Jetboil meets them.

My assumption on the naming of the Sol is that it's an abbreviation of 'solo', hence the smaller size.
In reply to captain paranoia:

No worries, thanks for your help! I always think "Sol" is a weird name, makes me think of "Sun"...

I'm not sure about the regulator either. It might work allright though. A top tip: If ambient temperature drops below freezing place the canister in a bowl with 2 cm water when cooking. This will keep the gas temperature at or above 0° C. Just brush off ice as it builds up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...