Asymmetric crampon front points

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BnB 02 Nov 2014
I have some Grivel Airtechs for mountaineering stuff up to easy grade III and a pair of Petzl Lynx set up as monos for mixed and harder. Hoping to do plenty this season in the range III-V conditions permitting and wondered whether to leave them as monos or experiment with the assymetric, one long front point, one short, configuration. Tried it once last year and it felt a bit odd, but that could be inexperience and unfamiliarity as much as any inherent awkwardness.

Thoughts from the ice and mixed warriors please with thanks for your contributions.
 Webster 02 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:

personally I don't see the point in vertical duel point crampons (ie lynx and G14's set up as duel points). on all water ice or technical mixed mono points are far superior to duel points, and on snow the traditional horizontal duel points on most mountaineering crampons (such as your airtechs) are better as the scoop of the front points acts a bit like snow shoes and increases stability on non-vertical steep snow. the vertical points on the other hand tend to cut through snow.

I have G14's set up as mono's and have only ever used them that way. the sole advantage of this over buying an out and out mono point crampon like the Rambo is that you effectively get a free spare pair of points, which means that I can keep one set sharp for water ice and the other get blunted on cairngorm granite!
 TobyA 02 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:

> or experiment with the assymetric, one long front point, one short, configuration.

Never seen that. Why would you do it? It might be fine, but can't see any advantage...
OP BnB 02 Nov 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I guess it' s a compromise offering (half) a second front point for stability on unconsolidated neve but on the one outing thus configured I found the half point interfered with deep placement of the principal point in cracks (preventing ingress). It also created more leverage in this way so resulting in greater calf strain.
In reply to BnB:

Hi would agree with Webster and Toby. I have used petzl vassaks for general mountaineering, darts and dartwins for ice, and fruit boots for mixed and chalk.
I cannot ever say that monos have felt unstable and if there is any mixed involved or even a hint of, they are my first choice. My twin pointed water ice crampons only get used in less than ideal conditions on "blanket" type routes vs anything that has a cigar or chandelier type ice on it gets the monos.
 iksander 03 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:

Wouldn't describe myself as a warrior (more a worrier) but I like asymetric front points - it's nice to have an extra point in the mushy stuff when you can sink them both for extra purchase.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...