Probably the best multipitch rucksac in the world

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BnB 02 Nov 2014

In the bag:
Harness plus 8 cams, 2.5 sets of wires, 12 QDs, belay plate, prussics, slings, screwgates and tat
Helmet
Hardshell
Waterproof Trous
Windshirt
Belay jacket
2litres water
Wallet
Phone
Keys
Headtorch
Lunch

In the wand pockets:
Rock shoes
Chalk bag

In the rear stretch pocket:
Hat
Buff
Map
Guidebook

In the waist belt pockets:
Gloves

Through the top straps:
50m rope

All the above goes in the Lowe Alpine Eclipse 25 (yes 25!!) litre pack I've been using for the past 3 months.

And when you gear up, the pack (which is virtually weightless when empty) shrinks and hugs your body all while sitting high above the harness to allow unfettered access to gear loops.

There are better packs for multipitch alone but you have to carry them inside a bigger pack and fetch the latter at the end of your route. But, for a one sac does the lot, I defy anyone to get so much in so small and comfortable a pack.

Well done Lowe Alpine!!
Post edited at 11:30
 Mehmet Karatay 02 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:
I find I get very similar results with the Blue Ice Warthog. It's 26L and two reasons I especially like it is the cleaver helmet holder in the lid (which can also hold a dry bag if needed) and the durable material.

It's great when you managed to get everything you want for a mountain multipitch into such a small bag. It really makes getting to the climb so much more pleasant.

Mehmet
Post edited at 11:47
 timmeehhhh 02 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:

I love my Millet Prolighter 25 for mountain routes! Both rock and classical alpinism.
 Rick Graham 02 Nov 2014
For multi pitch and Alpine climbing the rucksack may have two jobs, get to the route and possibly up the route.

For climbing the route it does not need to be so big.

If at all possible climb without a sack and for long hard rock may sure it does not interfere with a chalk bag.

If you like the Lowe bag, fair enough, but for me the zip is too exposed to abrasion and the size too much of a compromise between its two functions mentioned above.

Got a "bullet " pack, short protected zip, does not interfere with the chalk bag, can just be chimneyed with if one shoulder strap is loosened and good for a bit of occasional hauling.
 PN82 02 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:

I can get all of that in to an ultralight primark bum bag (fanny pack)
In reply to PN82:

> I can get all of that in to an ultralight primark bum bag (fanny pack)

Primark? Money to burn. It'll all fit in an Aldi carrier bag.

I got a montane torque this year and it'll fit all the OP's gear plus bivy and sleeping bags*; it also has a sleeping mat in the back system and I can get my feet in it. Plus a stove and a change of keks.

Martin

*: not all one-day multi-pitch routes are doable in a day, regardless of what the guidebook says. I've proved this on more than one occasion....
OP BnB 02 Nov 2014
In reply to Rick Graham:

> If you like the Lowe bag, fair enough, but for me the zip is too exposed to abrasion and the size too much of a compromise between its two functions mentioned above.

Yep, I have an Arcteryx Cierzo 18, got it for £20, and it's great for water and a pair of approach shoes once on the rock. But you can't walk in with all that stuff in it.

And I think my point about the Eclipse is that it isn't a compromise: It hikes like a 35litre and climbs like a 16litre (well clear of your chalk bag)

OP BnB 02 Nov 2014
In reply to PN82:

> I can get all of that in to an ultralight primark bum bag (fanny pack)

You must have a bucket fanny!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...