Winter conditions speculation thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 29 Oct 2014

Looking at the weather I reckon the northern corries could be in some time in the next two weeks.

This thread is for conditions speculation, no bullshit about Rowan berries and your mum's lumbago playing up.
Post edited at 11:24
 wilkie14c 29 Oct 2014
In reply to Roberttaylor:
Well I personally I think its gonna be bostin! Had a very light frost on the car roof this morning, the first I've ever known here in Blackpool during October. If its the same for the next few days I'm off to my crag X at the weekend, just a short walk from Hayfield.
Post edited at 11:30
Clauso 29 Oct 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

You're too late, I'm afraid; your so-called Crag X has already been hacked to bits.
 wilkie14c 29 Oct 2014
In reply to Clauso:

Barstewards! beaten every time
 george mc 29 Oct 2014

Hmm... unlikely looking at the long range forecasts. Anways it's been very warm and wet here in the Gorms. Even
when it does come it'll take a while for all the loose shite to freeze into place.

Looking ahead there are no strong signs of any sustained cold/wintry weather (in fact mid November looks like the air masses are being drawn in from the Azores). Still one thing is for sure winter will come at some point and at some point it will be cold and at some point we'll get winter climbing. Computer weather models aside.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html
 JohnnyW 29 Oct 2014
In reply to george mc:

You didn't mention the entrails George!

(Or did you get that synopsis off the entrails, and just pasted the Wettercentrale link to give it some scientific backing!?
 george mc 29 Oct 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

> You didn't mention the entrails George!

> (Or did you get that synopsis off the entrails, and just pasted the Wettercentrale link to give it some scientific backing!?

Busted!
 barbeg 29 Oct 2014
In reply to george mc:

...at which point you'll obviously be heading for Kinder Downfall......

Hope you're well mate,
Best regards,
ANdy
 smuffy 29 Oct 2014

Trying to hold down a decent job, be a good dad/husband and being located in the west midlands means I 've had a disastrous last couple of winter seasons. At one stage last year I did a 966 round trip up to Lochnagar as it was the only venue with a hint of climbable conditions and guess what........the weather turned sour and I didn't get to climb anything.
As a result of my frustrations I've tried to cover my bases this year by booking the last week of January in the alps............................you can guarantee that this means the UK will have the best winter conditions for decades!!!
(Hopefully the alps will give some reliable conditions)
 blackcat 29 Oct 2014
In reply to smuffy: +1 mate im futched if im spending most of my winter watching the news and weather, so ive booked for the alps as well, plus looking at either italy or norway just to make up for last year

Webster 29 Oct 2014

I dont know what forecasts you have seen but the BBC/met-office are fairly confident that this very mild autumn will continue.

at this time of year, at altitude in the highlands you are guarenteed to get some snow comming and going, but i think the chances of getting propper winter conditions building in the next 2 weeks are pretty close to zero
In reply to Webster:

Dunno, its been bleddy cold in Edinburgh. But maybe that's just me moving back from sunny Los Angeles. =D
 David Rose 30 Oct 2014

For what it's worth, Piers Corbyn, whose firm Weather Action is sometimes quite successful, is predicting a mild November followed by a much colder December - February period, with substantial snowfall and several big freezes. We shall see. I spoke to him yesterday, mainly because I have often heard him claiming credit after the event for getting a long range forecast right, but have never managed to pin him down to making a statement about the future. Anyway, now I have.
 Red Rover 30 Oct 2014

I think conditions are impossible to predict so far in advance with any degree of certainty. I'm not a weather forecaster but I work in computer modelling of complicated systems. All you can say with confidence is that the winter will contain the following:

rain
fog
snow
slush
wind
cold
warm

at some point.
 SkylarLobdell 30 Oct 2014

I've been up in Lochnagar around this time the last couple of years and it has been miraculously wintry both times (3 times makes a pattern right?) Has anyone been up at all this week? Am I hoping against hope by bringing my axes?
 John Workman 30 Oct 2014
In reply to Webster:
, but i think the chances of getting propper winter conditions building in the next 2 weeks are pretty close to zero

or possibly Point Five

In reply to John Workman:

> or possibly Point Five

I see what you did there! =D

Its nice and wintery in the Italian Alps. Maybe we should all move there for a couple months.
 baileyswalk 31 Oct 2014

It's Soctland, it will be raining and if it's not, it will be soon.
 JohnnyW 31 Oct 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

> All you can say with confidence is that the winter will contain the following:

> rain

> fog

> snow

> slush

> wind

> cold

> warm

> at some point.

In the same day!
In reply to SkylarLobdell:

I'll be up there this weekend, I hope its not wintery because I ain't bringing no axes.
 george mc 03 Nov 2014

Raining at 900m yesterday in the Northern Corries - cool with occasional sleety showers. Ground sopping wet though so will take a while for anything to firm up. My money is on 'proper' winter climbing in first part of December to mid December.

What i would say though is I'd be really careful climbing any mixed stuff until things are frozen/pasted together. Given successive cold winters and the recent wet late autumn there are a lot of loose blocks/rubble around on north facing crags.
aultguish 03 Nov 2014

Still wearing shorts here on the slopes of Ben Chonzie (I kid you not), maybe a return to trousers by mid week.

Infact cancel my last, there's snow just up the hill now lol
Post edited at 09:58
 planetmarshall 03 Nov 2014
In reply to David Rose:

> For what it's worth, Piers Corbyn, whose firm Weather Action is sometimes quite successful, is predicting a mild November followed by a much colder December - February period, with substantial snowfall and several big freezes.

It sounds like he's predicting "Winter". In any case, Corbyn is a quack - but kudos to him for at least putting his money where his mouth is.
 TheseKnivesMan 03 Nov 2014
Caught in several blizzards up Ben More Crianlarich yesterday. From the webcams a lot of tops are looking very white today and probably to continue throughout the week.
Clauso 03 Nov 2014
thefrontpoint 03 Nov 2014
 Jamie B 04 Nov 2014

At least two credible winter activists are considering a punt later this week - I know this as they (independently) approached me, but I am unavailable. They both have the nous to pick appropriate routes (or walk away).
OP Roberttaylor 05 Nov 2014

Well, I got out today in Sneachda and managed a climb. Speculation now futile, /thread.
 newtonmore 05 Nov 2014

i was out today as well did hoaremaster
 Brass Nipples 05 Nov 2014
Kinder downfall now done.
Post edited at 19:47
 Blackmud 07 Nov 2014

Went for a little walk tonight and the Northern Corries looked pretty melty, not surprising given the temps the last couple of days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...