NEWS: Sheffield vs Lochaber in 'Outdoor Capital' Bust-Up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH News 24 Oct 2014
lochaber sheffield montage, 2 kbFeathers have been ruffled in Ft.William with news that Sheffield is looking to promote itself as the UK's 'Outdoor Capital City'. The Lochaber region, which has been marketed under the brand 'Outdoor Capital of the UK' for 12 years, is taking a dim view of its South Yorkshire rival.

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=69258
 Darron 24 Oct 2014
In reply to UKH News:

10,000 climbers in Sheffield? Surely not.
 ScraggyGoat 24 Oct 2014
In reply to Darron:

Yeh but ...........'what have they ever done on grit'......

Has to be lochaber really; snow, ice, rock, proper hill walking rather than rambling, white water, access to world class sea kayaking, and best down hill mtb course in the uk. The only thing sheffields got nearby that lochaber hasn't is world class caving. Pity that Fort William is as ugly as sin, plus often wet and dreary.

All marketing mumbo jumbo at the end of the day though.
 glaramara 24 Oct 2014
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

I lived in The Fort for 2 years and found it depressingly crap. Dangerous road cycling, too rainy and midgy to do anything with Polldubh, no indoor wall, unpleasant locals. Clearly there is winter climbing but it isn't half as convenient as in the Norries. I moved back down to North England and I shall be interested to see if my winter climbing tally goes up or down. My enjoyment of life has certainly gone up.Ra-ra, south York-ki-shire!, I say.
 BrainoverBrawn 24 Oct 2014
In reply to UKH News:

60% do outdoor recreation?
Stanage bus cancelled!
If Lochaber roads are bad are Aviemore ones good, I reckon they may be.
Llanberis had a chance before, capital would suggest a city and not a village or small town. Links to a large population or all or many outdoor sports would be in the name capital too. So many towns in one other district they just call it the **** District and don't vye over each other.
Lochaber is just so far away maan.
Ian Carey 24 Oct 2014
In reply to UKH News:

How about 'Sheffield, the Outdoor Capital of England'.
 redscotti 24 Oct 2014
In reply to Ian Carey:

Noooo. That title belongs to.......Church Stretton!
 malky_c 25 Oct 2014
In reply to glaramara:

> My enjoyment of life has certainly gone up.Ra-ra, south York-ki-shire!, I say.

Probably one of the few times we're going to hear someone from Lancashire say that . Much as I like Lochaber, I prefer to have Fort William at the far end of the Great Glen.
 Cuthbert 26 Oct 2014
In reply to Ian Carey:

> How about 'Sheffield, the Outdoor Capital of England'.

Why not just call Lochaber "Outdoor Capital of Scotland" which has much greater resonance and is also a better name. When you think "UK" you don't think of Lochaber but when you think Scotland you think of those iconic images, places and experiences.

What's the winter climbing and skiing like near Sheffield?
 Alex Slipchuk 27 Oct 2014
In reply to UKH News:

Lochaber v Sheffield, hmmm,

I suggest anyone considering Sheffield should look to see what area Lochaber actually covers, has anyone been sea kayaking in the sheff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...