Best places to stay in the Alps for a road cycling holiday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jacob k-d 19 Oct 2014

Hoping to get to the French Alps for a (road) cycling holiday next summer. Just wondering whether anyone has any good suggestions of gites/locations to use as a base. I appreciate it depends on where you want to ride but pretty open really so any suggestions welcome. cheers
Removed User 19 Oct 2014
In reply to Jacob k-d:

I've stayed in both of these places and recommend them. Camping des Grandes Cols is a campsite (aimed at cyclists) but it has a range of chalet accommodation too.

Brilliant riding in either place.

http://www.campingdesgrandscols.com/fr/index.aspx
http://gitetranquyl.wifeo.com/
 abr1966 19 Oct 2014
In reply to Jacob k-d:

I had a great trip staying in Morzine a couple of years ago....a mixture of road and mountain biking but as a roadie it was great and plenty of good bars/restraunts..
Removed User 19 Oct 2014
In reply to Jacob k-d:

Not accommodation, but this site will give you plenty to think about.

http://www.cycling-challenge.com/
 Alpandy 19 Oct 2014
In reply to Jacob k-d:

Barcellonette in the Ubaye Valley is awesome in my opinion. You have big cols like the Cayolle, Allos (which is closed to traffic one morning per week), the Bonnette (reputedly the highest road in the Alps of something like that). Over the other side of the valley is the Col de Vars which can be taken in a biggish loop over into the Durance valley and round to Embrun. There are also smaller routes such as up to the ski stations of Pra Loup and Super Sauze for easier days. Nine times out of ten the weather is stunning and there is plenty of places to stay. I stayed in a campsite south of the river on the road up to the Allos.

The other place I would recommend is Bourg Saint Maurice. Here you can get to several ski stations (La Plagne, Les Arcs, Val Thorens) and passes such as the Iseran (huge and awesome), the Petit Saint Bernard (nice warm up) and the Cormet de Roselend (probably the best col for sheer enjoyment in the Alps in my experience, particulrly if you go all the way to Beaufort and come back via the col du Pre). I stayed in a nice campsite near the supermarket on the road up to Les Arcs.

Both of these places are little more out of the way and therefore quieter compared to the honeypots of Bourg d'Oisans or Morzine (where the weather can be a bit more temperamental).
 balmybaldwin 19 Oct 2014
In reply to Jacob k-d:
Enty of this parish has a place on ventoux
Post edited at 23:23
altirando 19 Oct 2014
In reply to Removed User:

The problem with StJean is that it is in a long deep narrow valley so unless you want to plod along the main highway most of the rides will indeed be 'grands cols'. The Durance valley further south is wider, has easier access to a number of areas to explore such as the Champsaur . Gap at one end, Briancon at the other. Embrun in the middle.
 Oujmik 20 Oct 2014
In reply to Jacob k-d:

http://www.buzzalps.com/

This place is run by a friend of mine, great hospitality and nice village location.
UrbanRocker 20 Oct 2014
In reply to Jacob k-d:

I've stayed here a few times. Superb.

Good for Alpe D'Huez, Telegraph, Galibier

http://www.kingofthemountains.co.uk/

Paul
 Dark-Cloud 20 Oct 2014
In reply to UrbanRocker:

I will second that, Guy and Helyn are excellent hosts and the cycling is top notch, lots of smaller less known climbs and access to some classics with the Izoard only an hour drive away too.
 JLS 21 Oct 2014
In reply to Jacob k-d:

The roads around about Enty's place near Ventoux looked much more pleasant for cycling that the roads further North near Alp D'Huez etc. Ie more in the way of country lanes and quiet back roads.
I really enjoyed the cycling in the Sella area of the Italian Dolomites. Lots of big hills but only 5-10km long which seemed more "enjoyable" that the idea of 20km monster climbs.
aligibb 21 Oct 2014
In reply to Jacob k-d:
hi Jacob.

The area around Morzine is a great place to explore on a road bike as there is loads of route variety and choice. TdF climbs, quiet roads and lots of options for different loops and terrain with some flatter rides as recovery in the big climbs mix. I am biased though as I live there and run a road bike holidays company. That's testament to how good it is though as it has made me move there because the riding is so good!
On the doorstep are Col de Joux Plane, Ramaz, Colombiere, Joux Verte and Pierre Carree for HC ones, and then loads of smaller less well known ones that are ace - Grand Taillet, Encrenaz, Bassachaux, Jambaz the list goes on and on.

Have a look at our website - www.44south.co.uk and drop me a PM or email if you'd like some more info. We're just in the process of updating it all for next summer but I'll happily answer any questions etc.

Ali
Post edited at 11:47
 Dark-Cloud 21 Oct 2014
In reply to JLS:
Correct, the Dolomites and Ventoux area are very good for riding, however, one isn't French and the other is hardly full of classic climbs.
Post edited at 17:18
caver 21 Oct 2014
 JLS 21 Oct 2014
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Harsh!

Dark-Cloud 21 Oct 2014
In reply to JLS:

All part of the service
In reply to Jacob k-d:

There's a reasonable amount to out of St Gervais, Nice and close to Geneva airport (you could ride it, though with bike bag might be a challenge). Colombiere, Aravis, Les Saises and a bunch of less famous but equally great passes in riding distance too. Could even do the Tour du Mt Blanc from there if you are into suffering.

Somewhat biased as I own a place there - drop me a mail if you interested in renting it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...