Sleeping bad for the alps in march

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 connor 15 Oct 2014
I am heading off to the alps in march for about a month or so, to climb and ski. What sleeping bag would you all recommend?

I was thinking a down bag that goes to about -25C? I am envisaging bivvying before some of our bigger objectives, the bag will also be used in Scotland in winter, PHD do some nice bags that look more suited to alpinism IE with a Bivvy cowl, but i also like the look of the Montane deep heat bag.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Connor
 Bruce Hooker 16 Oct 2014
In reply to connor:

Perhaps you should do the thread again with the right spelling? I thought you had some kind of medical condition
 planetmarshall 16 Oct 2014
In reply to connor:

> I was thinking a down bag that goes to about -25C? I am envisaging bivvying before some of our bigger objectives, the bag will also be used in Scotland in winter, PHD do some nice bags that look more suited to alpinism IE with a Bivvy cowl, but i also like the look of the Montane deep heat bag.

-25 sounds a bit extreme for the Alps in March, unless you run particularly cold. I bivvied at 3000m in Sept in a Phd minimus (rated to +5). It was a bit chilly but I should think something rated to -10 would be adequate.

You might also consider a half-bag to save weight, if you're going to have a belay jacket anyway. I believe PhD do these.

Robert Durran 16 Oct 2014
In reply to connor:

You should have no problem sleeping bad in the Alps at any time of the year if you find a small and uncomfortable enough ledge and don't take a sleeping bag.
OP connor 16 Oct 2014
In reply to connor:

ahhh dyslexia strikes again

sorry folks
 Mr-Cowdrey 16 Oct 2014
In reply to connor:

I'd go for a light weight down bag (around the 1kg mark) rated to about -10 with a fill power of 850 and a fill weight of about 500 (give or take 100).

If you're biviing then you'll be wearing all your clothes anyway and you'll be inside a bivi bag too which will boost the temp rating, so a bag rated in the -20s is a bit over kill unless you're at a base camp. I go by the mantra 'light is right' and am prepared to sacrafice a small amount of comfort. But I sleep quite warm anyway.
 keepguessing 27 Oct 2014
In reply to connor:
bring a one season for shoulder seasons or a half bag for summer sleep in all your clothes you will be fine http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Sleepi... this would be a pretty good alpine bag a little warmer than needed but from the sounds of it your not wanting to shiver too much.
Most of these "big objectives" are probably do able in a long day with an alpine start so consider you objectives and ask your self "should this take me any longer than a day?" speaking of your "big objectives" what are they exactly?
Post edited at 22:54
 smithaldo 04 Nov 2014
In reply to connor:

This is brilliant. Everyone actually reccomending specific gear hasn't bivvied in the alps in March.

It is cold up high at that time of year, even in places like the abri simond.

Having made the mistake of light is right, so nto taking a sleeping bag up there and relying on blankets, I would now take one as warm as I could fit in my rucksack. After all, your not likely to be climbing with it, just leaving it with your skis.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...