Night Sky Photography

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 15 Oct 2014
Inspired by the Dark Sky Northumberland thread.

I am new to the whole DSLR and photography thing but would love to learn how to photograph the night sky. Can anyone tell me how you do it i.e. camera settings (I have a basic DSLR Canon 100D) Not expecting to get any award winning shots more still learning how to use the camera on any setting other than auto.

As Northumberland is only a few hours away and I have just learnt that it holds Europe's largest dark sky park I thought this winter will be good to get out there.

Thanks
In reply to Alan M:

We have a superb article by James Rushforth coming on exactly this subject. I will try and publish it tomorrow.

Alan
 Coel Hellier 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Alan M:

Go to the darkest site you can (no moon as well as no lighting).

Set ISO fairly high (though perhaps not the highest setting).

Put on the widest-angle lens you have, and open it to the widest stop.

Expose for 30 secs (use a tripod or put the camera on something).

See what happens, and then experiment a lot from there.
OP Alan M 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> We have a superb article by James Rushforth coming on exactly this subject. I will try and publish it tomorrow.

> Alan

I look forward to reading it
Thanks
 The Lemming 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Coel Hellier:

Not done any night photography of the sky, itself however I have done some night-time subjects and I've gone the opposite way by setting the ISO as low as possible. That way I hope to reduce the noise levels.

OP Alan M 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Coel Hellier:

> Go to the darkest site you can (no moon as well as no lighting).

> Set ISO fairly high (though perhaps not the highest setting).

> Put on the widest-angle lens you have, and open it to the widest stop.

> Expose for 30 secs (use a tripod or put the camera on something).

> See what happens, and then experiment a lot from there.

Cheers, looks like I will be aiming for a few trips to Northumberland and Kielder this autumn and winter
 Russell Lovett 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Alan M:
Why not make a weekend of some of your visits, if you have never sampled the delights of our sandstone climbing before you,ll be in for a treat.
Chalk 15 Oct 2014
In reply to The Lemming: this is ideal for shooting objects but for the sky itself you need to keep the exposure short or you will start to get star trails. It depends on the focal length to what you can get away with but generally on a wide angle lens anything over 25 seconds will start to show trails.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...