Sad News from Nepal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 15 Oct 2014
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/16/world/asia/himalayas-blizzard-and-avalanc...
Having been there I recall how bloody cold it was on the Thorung La and we didn't have any snow!

Condolences.
OP mypyrex 15 Oct 2014
A little surprised there's no other comment about this.
 Jim Fraser 18 Oct 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

If these guys
http://www.arf-zermatt.ch/
get their way then things will be better in the future.
In reply to Jim Fraser:

Sorry, Jim, that has nothing to do with the basic problem. Which is a slipping of standards connected with the sheer greed of the trekking companies. It is quite obvious that training and equipment here has fallen very far short of the old mark. I went on a photographic assignment on an Everest trek 16 years ago, and all the Nepalese involved were well trained and equipped to deal with any emergency.
 ablackett 18 Oct 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I have found this story quite difficult to read, having walked the Annapurna Circuit and being familiar with the areas involved I can understand how difficult it would have been to make reasoned choices about if to turn round, stay at the tiny hut near the top or walk down to Muktinath in the conditions reported.

My thoughts are with all those involved.
 Doug 18 Oct 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
Article in the Guardian today with various groups/individuals blaming others for the tragedy, a couple of quotes

"Mohan Krishna Sapkota, spokesman of Tourism Ministry, said those who suffered most were “cheaper tourists” who did not want to hire individual guides."

"Sapkota of the tourist ministry said the “incident has taught us a lesson” and that emergency shelters would be constructed to prevent similar incidents in the future. The government will also move to restrict individuals trekking “on their own”.

"Ngamindra Dahal, a climate expert at Kathmandu University, said Nepal’s meteorological office had followed Indian counterparts in issuing warnings of high winds and heavy rains. “Farmers were told about it. It was in the media. So this was not unexpected. There was a major failure of communication. At least 50% of the blame lies with the authorities,” Dahal said."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/17/nepal-cheap-tourists-snow-disa...
OP mypyrex 18 Oct 2014
In reply to ablackett:

> I have found this story quite difficult to read, having walked the Annapurna Circuit and being familiar with the areas involved I can understand how difficult it would have been to make reasoned choices about if to turn round, stay at the tiny hut near the top or walk down to Muktinath in the conditions reported.

Much what I thought at the time. In the back of my mind was the thought that once we left Thorung Phedi we either had to get over the pass or double back and that, in the time it would take us to get to the top of the pass there was always potential for a dramatic change in the weather. As it was we were blessed with brilliant sunshine. Mind you, it was bloody cold. I have never experienced cold like it and I was glad of that cup of tea at the top.
OP mypyrex 18 Oct 2014
Not wishing to sound judgemental but I’ve seen some pretty crass comments about it in the media and from so called experts. These have ranged from the almost predictable “people shouldn’t visit these places...” “...shouldn’t put the lives of rescuers at risk...” "...what were walkers doing climbing Everest/Annapurna/Dhaulagiri..." to some even saying that, having paid for a guide, they expect the guide to take full responsibility for the safety of the client. I have always assumed that responsibility for safety in the mountains needs to be mutual and that you look out for each other; guide or no guide. Am I old fashioned?
 Indy 18 Oct 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
I have always assumed that responsibility for safety in the mountains needs to be mutual and that you look out for each other; guide or no guide. Am I old fashioned?

Agree to a point but the guide is the professional so its they that need to take ultimate responsibility.
 Indy 18 Oct 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Which is a slipping of standards connected with the sheer greed of the trekking companies.

somewhat unfair me thinks. These trekking companies are just catering to a cheapskate market that looks at nothing but the price.
OP mypyrex 18 Oct 2014
In reply to Indy:

> somewhat unfair me thinks. These trekking companies are just catering to a cheapskate market that looks at nothing but the price.

Surely it should be "SOME trekking companies are just catering to a cheapskate market that looks at nothing but the price"

Indy 18 Oct 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> Surely it should be "SOME trekking companies are just catering to a cheapskate market that looks at nothing but the price"

I'd assumed that was a given.
OP mypyrex 18 Oct 2014
In reply to Indy:

> I'd assumed that was a given.

Oookay.
 Indy 18 Oct 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> Oookay.

In context of the message I was replying to how does your comment add to the discussion, exactly???? Or are you in the habit of stating the bleeding obvious?
OP mypyrex 18 Oct 2014
In reply to Indy:
> Oookay
> In context of the message I was replying to how does your comment add to the discussion, exactly???? Or are you in the habit of stating the bleeding obvious?

I was merely signifying acceptance of your comment NOT seeking some sort of verbal punch up. What would you have preferred me to say?
Post edited at 19:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...