help - softshell pants/salopettes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jmills94 29 Sep 2014
sorry for what may be a somewhat stupid question. I have a some good quality softshell pants and rab neoshell trousers but was wondering if its worth having 'ski specific' salopettes for hitting the slopes. It has been a fair while since i last skied and I didnt have any of my mountaineering kit then so im basically wondering if its worth getting the bulkier ski specific salopettes and jackets or just using my mountaineering kit, cheers.
 marsbar 29 Sep 2014
In reply to jmills94:

Don't know. But if you do decide to buy ski kit tk maxx is worth a look. Much cheaper as long as you don't care if its last seasons colour scheme.
OP jmills94 29 Sep 2014
In reply to marsbar:

haha thanks my local tx maxx is rather shocking but i shall have a look if i go that route
 girlymonkey 29 Sep 2014
In reply to jmills94:

I much prefer mountaineering layering, even in alpine resorts. I go soft shells with base layer trousers normally.
OP jmills94 29 Sep 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

do you get a when butt this way on lifts?
 Jack_Lewin 30 Sep 2014
In reply to jmills94:

I think we had a topic not so recently about skiing in rab neo shells, which would be a good ski pant, and the conclusion was that the leg was too narrow for a ski boot. I ski in the TNF mountain pant, a heavyish gtx pant with a brushed fleece lining and a base layer. Softshell pants are fine for fair weather skiing but you'd need to watch out for sitting in a puddle of melted snow on a lift etc.
 girlymonkey 30 Sep 2014
In reply to jmills94:

I put waterproofs over them if it looks like it will be wet. Mostly in the Alps though, the lifts are dry as you often ski in sunny weather! Ski trousers are no more waterproof generally than softshells I tend to find. I have worked a few seasons in the Alps, and had both with me most times, but was almost always in mountaineering trousers, I preferred the temperature control of layering.
 johnvmelia 30 Sep 2014
In reply to jmills94:

It is unlikely your waterproofs will fit over ski boots, if your over trousers don’t have crampon patches you may also end up tearing them with the skis. We are all looking for the holy grail of one pair of pants or jacket for all sports but there not really there. I would agree with some of the other comments, try TK Max or eBay, there is no point damaging quality over trousers, buy something cheap while you get back into skiing. Without wanting to state the obvious, bulker ski wear allows for a lot more laying, sitting on ski lifts can get very cold as you are not moving, unless you are rock hard, light weight mountaineering jackets won’t cut it. I think the major factor it damage to your kit, just go into a ski shop and feel the toughness, thickness and weight of the gear that should give you an idea of what it has to go through.
 Carolyn 30 Sep 2014
In reply to johnvmelia:

I think that's key - if your mountaineering trousers are wide enough at the bottom to fit over ski boots - and ideally have internal snow gaiters, or a strap to tighten them round boot, plus reinforcing patches - then they'll work fine. I ski in a pair of Sprayway 3 layer salopettes, which works fine - just layer thermals & power stretch underneath them if it's particularly cold.

But you don't want to get snow in the top of your boot, it's just miserable, and pretty inevitable if you're either a beginner, or skiing in powdery stuff.
 planetmarshall 30 Sep 2014
In reply to johnvmelia:
> It is unlikely your waterproofs will fit over ski boots, if your over trousers don’t have crampon patches you may also end up tearing them with the skis. We are all looking for the holy grail of one pair of pants or jacket for all sports but there not really there.

Millet do a range for ski mountaineering. Can't speak for their quality or whether they can be sourced in the UK, though. I know Outside stock some Millet gear. Plus they do colours other than black, which is nice.

http://www.millet.fr/en/products/fall-winter-2014-2015/mens-pants/couloir-g...
Post edited at 10:18
OP jmills94 30 Sep 2014
In reply to jmills94:

thanks for all the replies people! my softshell pants are rab exodus so will fix nicely over a boot so i think i will look for a rugged waterproof over trouser in case the weather craps out.
 Aigen 01 Oct 2014
In reply to jmills94:
softshell bottoms all the way for skiing. I wear Patagonia alpine guides with Rab micro fleece bib underneath.
Post edited at 23:06
 OwenM 04 Oct 2014
In reply to jmills94:

I use Rab Exodus trousers their fine for skiing in, very windproof. When touring I carry a pair of ME rainfall pants, these are very light but have full side zips so you can get them on with ski boots on.
 Womble 20 Nov 2014
In reply to jmills94:

with the option of a cheapo decent pair from tkmax/field and trek i would go for that. dont want to rip up the bottom of your decent rab pant on the side of skis.

or just look on ebay. there is lots of unbranded kit that will keep you warmer.

also depends on time of year. obviously jan/feb will be pretty dam cold. in april i have skied in a vest wishing i also had shorts on!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...