Nav practice snowdonia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 amy_p_86 27 Sep 2014
Hi, Does any one know any good areas in Snowdonia for navigation practise for ML?
 OwenM 27 Sep 2014
In reply to amy_p_86:

All of it.
In reply to amy_p_86:
The area inbetween Cnicht and Moel Meirch is very good for nav practice and is often used on ML training and assessments.

The northern Carneddau would also be a good bet in claggy weather as would the Migneint if you want to get 'really' serious about it!
Post edited at 21:29
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:

Yep - Moelwyns West of Blaenau Ffestiniog / North of Cnicht is a good place - lots of minor bumps, small llyns and streams flowing in seemingly random directions (and also lots of confusing <5m features that are obvious on the ground but not on the map).

Parts of the Migneint and Rhinog areas would be similar.

Carneddau are good but on a much larger scale - you have to make a pretty major error to end up down the wrong river valley!

The Gwydir forest would be another possibility - forestry tracks with limited visibility of the surrounding terrain so no nice summits for taking bearings.
In reply to amy_p_86:

I've just sent you an email.
 jezb1 28 Sep 2014
In reply to amy_p_86:

Too many to list! I use round the back of the Pen y Gwryd for work quite a lot when teaching micro Nav.
 Mike Peacock 29 Sep 2014
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

I used to do quite a lot of fieldwork on the Migneint. Only once did I ever encounter a group learning to nav there. I chatted to their instructor who said "if they can navigate up here, they can navigate anywhere."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...