BMC special Swanage meeting 'Fuel my Fire' Debate Conclusion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Marti999 Global Crag Moderator 27 Sep 2014
Last night a BMC local area meeting was held in Swanage, 14 active local climber were able to attend and there were ten apology's received from interested climbers wished to have there views known.

The main focus of the meeting was to discuss a proposal to Re-bolt the route 'Fuel my fire' on the unknown ledge area of the Cattle troughs section of Swanage, This is within the bolt ban areas agreed through The BMC for Swanage. It was bolted without consent in 2006 and the bolts had been remove/chopped, but not before a first assent was made by Bob Hickish in 2009 (not the bolter).

There was a good natured and full debate with opinions from both side.
A vote was passed in favour of re-equipping the route, mainly due to it rare quality for climber to enjoy in this unique area.

However it was the firm consensus of the room that' this is firstly a stand alone decision, i.e. this is the only route in the area to be bolted (the unclimbed line of bolt studs to its left should and will be remove)

That there is no change to any of the bolt agreement at Swanage( no other sports routes will be allowed in any banned areas)
and that is done in a way to minimise and conflict with nearby trad routes.

Marti Hallett BMC Swanage area access rep

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...