Van questions/advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 26 Sep 2014
I've finally decided to get a van, and have got some funds together to spend somewhere in the £3000-4000 range. I have been changing my mind constantly between getting a small van (VW Caddy/Transit connect) or getting a decent sized (Transit medium top/wheel base that i can stand up in). At the moment i'm thinking a medium sized Transit.

Anyone out there got any advice as to things that they hadn't considered when getting theirs that they now realise. Stuff like fitting a medium roof top into carparks, or paying higher tolls on motorways/ferrys.

I'll be using it as a day to day vehicle, and estimate that it will cost an extra £350-400 a year compared to my car on fuel/tax/insurance for a transit (or more or less the same for the Caddy about £100 more as current). As i'll be using it at least once a week for sleeping purposes, i can justify it for convenience and not paying for campsites.

Ciro 26 Sep 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

I went with a short wheelbase Citroen Relay, and I think it's a good compromise between storage space and everyday usability. It fits into a standard single car parking space, yet the wide, square profile means there's quite a lot of room inside.

I was originally thinking of a Transit, the main thing that swung me was the Relay/Ducato/Boxer is wider - a smidge under 6 feet across, so I was able to fit a fixed transverse bed (I'm only 5'6" so plenty wide enough for me). I got the pre-facelift model, I believe the newer ones are a touch wider again.

The one thing I would change if I could go back would be to keep looking for a high roof... I decided I'd be spending more time outside it that in so it wasn't really required, and put other criteria first - that was a bad move... cooking bent over a stove isn't great.
 Eciton 26 Sep 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

If you are using it as a day to day vehicle then buy something similar to a VW Caddy (Partner, Berlingo). I had a Toyota Hyace converted into a camper van. It was great for sleeping in the car while on holidays but the day to day was very painful. It costs a lot more to run it and is larger than a normal car.

Last year I changed it to a Peugeot Partner (long version) and I have placed inside a bed with storage underneath. Best solution ever! It is way cheaper, faster and takes less parking space. And I can still take everything I need while going on holidays: food, clothes, cooking stuff, climbing and camping gear, etc. Two people can sleep inside very comfortable.
OP CharlieMack 26 Sep 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

Cheers for the feedback. The transit is wide enough for me to sleep sideways (5'6 also) and can stand upright in the medium height version. Just not sure about the increased size day to day like fitting in normal car park spaces.
 ByEek 26 Sep 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:
If this is just for sleeping in once in a while, would it not be easier to get an estate car? I am a tad over 6' and my Focus Estate is more than comfortable for a night or two.

There is always something rather stark about the backs of vans.
Post edited at 14:51
 gethin_allen 26 Sep 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

Re tolls, if the van is obviously converted to a camper ie. has windows and proper camper gear in it you should only get charged private car prices on tolls. My parents van is enormous and they only pay private car prices. With their first van that was a converted panel van they did have to explain a lot to the people in the booths that it was actually a campervan not a commercial.
 Hat Dude 26 Sep 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

Caddy Maxi

Had my window van for 4 years & it's brilliant

Taxed as a car,same with tolls & ferries long enough to sleep in, transport bikes & can easily accommodate up to 5 people plus gear.

140ps engine, Averages 44mpg and has ample performance for me
 clare_bear 26 Sep 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

Hi,
I've just done exactly the same thing... I bought a Citroen Berlingo.. only cost £2900... and its been great. I've comfortably spent 3 weeks sleeping in it and climbing... didn't pay for a single campsite... its great for me as I'm only 5'3 but the front seats fold down so taller people can sleep comfortably in it too.

I fit 2 full size boulder pads in there and sleep on that and it's great.

Insurance for me wasn't too much more than my car... maybe £50... but then yes - owning a van means it becomes a commercial vehicle... so there are a few extras to be considered...

I also bought 4 new tyres for it when I bought it.. and apparently you need to make sure you have van tyres on a van.. otherwise an insurance company may not pay out in an accident... this could be the tyre place having me on.. but tyres weren't too pricey and I didn't want to take the risk...

I looked at Caddy as well.. but a lot more money for not a lot more van.... and the mileage tends to be really high i your price range... ford transit also good.. but again more expensive then something like a berlingo, or a partner... or indeed a dispatch...

The other van I nearly bought was a Nissan Nv200... really lovely mid size.. but was a bit too expensive and I just couldn't justify spending that much...

Good luck.. and you will love the convenience when you finally switch...
 Ciro 26 Sep 2014
In reply to clare_bear:

> I also bought 4 new tyres for it when I bought it.. and apparently you need to make sure you have van tyres on a van.. otherwise an insurance company may not pay out in an accident... this could be the tyre place having me on.. but tyres weren't too pricey and I didn't want to take the risk...

Unless someone had previously fitted a dangerously low load rating I fear you may have been taken for a ride there - for future reference, you just need to make sure your tyres load rating and the speed rating are at or above the manufacturers specifications:

http://www.blackcircles.com/general/load-rating
http://www.blackcircles.com/general/speedrating

One interesting thing I heard about the berlingo the other day (although I haven't verified this) is that because it was a van before it was a car, it's not classed as a Car Derived Van and is therefore subject to the same reduced speed limits as a larger panel van (unless it's been converted and re-registered as a campervan).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...