What's your best camp meal?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 t_hume 23 Sep 2014
What's the most exciting meal you've made on a camp stove (trangia or similar)?

Looking for some inspiration as I need to impress a lady and I promised we wouldn't just be having pasta. Help me out ukh/c, I'm after Michelin star on a meths stove.

Thanks
 Toerag 23 Sep 2014
In reply to t_hume:

Do you have a non-stick frying pan for your trangia? If not then you're pretty much restricted to boiling things. You could probably make spag bol from absolute scratch though.
 zebidee 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Toerag:

Once made mince & tatties on a camp-fire ... technically you could do the same on a stove.
In reply to t_hume:

The best thing I've ever cooked outdoors was salmon and baby potatoes on a disposable bbq, with fried up asparagus and piccolo tomatoes.
If that doesn't get her going then she's not worth it!

Cheers
 tlm 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Toerag:

Isn't spaghetti pasta?
 Wingnut 23 Sep 2014
In reply to t_hume:
I've made a cheese and salami risotto on a camping stove before (needed a bit of care to stop it sticking), and done vegetable curry and rice. Both ended up perfectly edible.
 balmybaldwin 23 Sep 2014
In reply to t_hume:

Did a hot and sour prawn curry from scratch once great to each, and pretty easy once you've done all the chopping.

Most important though is keeping the prawns cold - easy if you have an icebox

Something like the recipe under the indonesia section of this: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2006/aug/20/foodanddrink.features
J1234 23 Sep 2014
In reply to t_hume:

> What's the most exciting meal you've made on a camp stove (trangia or similar)?

>

Well I nearly set my tent on fire the other week, so that was pretty exciting.

d_b 23 Sep 2014
In reply to t_hume:

I did fried steak flambeed in brandy on a camp stove once. Wasn't a Trangia though. Never tried frying on a meths stove. If it runs hot enough then you should be able to pull it off.
 Ramblin dave 23 Sep 2014
In reply to t_hume:

I think about the smartest thing I've managed on a trangia was a Chinese-style noodle soup, with a nice broth flavoured with dried shitake and other fun stuff.

Thinking about it, something like tacos or burritos could work well, though - fry up some meat and appropriate veggies with a few spices, maybe add some drained kidney beans and assemble it into wraps with salad / sour cream / salsa / guacamole / whatever else you can be bothered taking.
In reply to t_hume:

1*small sachet of Thai curry Paste, 1*small pouch of coconut milk, 1*pouch of 'seeds of change' 7 grains thing (got quinoa and various rices) plus tuna/smoked sausage or something similar. Serve with oatcakes or a pitta bread - kicks pastas arse.

Otherwise, just cook what you normally would, and prepare for it to take many many hours longer.
 RomTheBear 23 Sep 2014
In reply to t_hume:

> What's the most exciting meal you've made on a camp stove (trangia or similar)?

Fondue Savoyarde.
However carrying two baguettes, two bottles of white wine, a big pot, and two kilos of cheese turned out to be fairly taxing.
 sharpie530 23 Sep 2014
In reply to t_hume:

I had Dhal the other week in Canada- all that was needed was lentils, fresh ginger, garlic, a mix of some spices, spinach, and a lemon. It was absolutely beautiful, very easy and light to carry, simple to make and filling.

moffatross 23 Sep 2014
Backpack camping or cycle camping, I take a 5 piece fly fishing rod. Fresh fried wild loch broonie is delicious and nutritious.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88898381@N02/14561615501/in/set-7215764549505...

martin.p65 23 Sep 2014
In reply to t_hume:

Risotto is a very easy one-pot camping meal to make.

Make it as impressive as you can by using fancy foods you can't pronounce
 fmck 23 Sep 2014
In reply to martin.p65:

One of the best meals I had camping was a risotto with Loch Nevis mussels picked fresh from the beach.
I also picked up some fresh venison at a shop in Ardnemuachan when going to high camp once. Picked some Blaeberries out of the heather on the way up and chucked them on with it.
 Toerag 23 Sep 2014
In reply to tlm:

> Isn't spaghetti pasta?

Yes, but it's the making sauce from scratch that's impressive - the spaghetti is just there to bulk it up.

Is there an option to make an open fire? then you can be all romantic and do marshmallows on sticks etc. Don't forget the wine/whisky/sloe gin to get her a bit tipsy - maybe sneak it in in a flask so it's a surprise?
 Toerag 23 Sep 2014
In reply to t_hume:

What do you plan for dessert? You could make a steamed pudding or cake at home and take that to have with custard?

PS. is this an actual camping date, or is your chosen victim part of a group and you just want to impress her in general?
 Rick Graham 23 Sep 2014
In reply to t_hume:

Bifsteak Hashe with fried onion and tomato in a bagette at 3000m before an Alpine route.

Perfect size for a CG Globetrotter pan. Lovely.
 ripper 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Toerag:

proper bolognese needs simmering for four hours - make sure you start early and have plenty of gas!
 coinneach 23 Sep 2014
In reply to ripper:

Haggis, neeps and tatties.

Steamers are great!
 LP 23 Sep 2014
In reply to t_hume:

Just make her walk/climb all day, skip lunch, cook late and whatever you cook will taste good.

I often make this though, which is pretty decent fare

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2027/onepot-mushroom-and-potato-curry

And if you're feeling flash, home-made rotis or naans are pretty easy to do on a Trangia too especially if you take the dough prepped.

Consider the lady wooed.

rlrs 23 Sep 2014
In reply to t_hume:

Quickly fry chopped up chicken breast and red pepper in some chinese spice mix, add tin of pineapple chunks and some cashew nuts, perhaps some tinned beansprouts or bamboo shoots, simmer for a few minutes to make sure chicken is cooked through. Add some oyster sauce.

With just one stove could be eaten with some nice bread rather than rice (or even pasta). Chicken is ideally bought on the evening of the meal, not left in the tent for days beforehand!
 Bruce Hooker 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Toerag:
> You could probably make spag bol from absolute scratch though.

We used to live off this, easy to do on a camping stove. Another easy one is chicken legs in cream and white wine. Cook the chicken legs in butter than add a good glass of white wine and reduce, then near the end mustard and cream - don't boil the cream. Adding a few shalottes cut fine improves it, before the chicken. Herbs de Provence, pepper and salt. Good with rice, spag or tagliatelli. You can also do your chicken legs with onions, garlic, peppers, and tomatoes. Having two stoves helps, a second to do the spag or rice.

PS. Just noticed "meths stove", is that pressurised or not? If not my recipes might be hard going I've done them on Camping Gas, petrol and parafin but always the sort that give you a decent flame.
Post edited at 21:32
 nightclimber 23 Sep 2014
In reply to t_hume:

Use a fire-pit to cook meat wrapped in leaves on hot stones. Need to catch and prepare your meat (or fish) first though.
 cookieman 24 Sep 2014
in darkest winter,porridge with scotch and honey,chicken and noodle hot and sour pot,pancakes flambed in more scotch,hot whiskey sours with treacle tart
 Dr.S at work 24 Sep 2014
In reply to t_hume:

there is a lot to be said for having a 'two hob' solution for cooking - meths stove and gas potentialy a good combo - simmer on a trangia and heat up/fry on a gas stove - will make life a lot simpler.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...