Racking pegs for winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 paulpitcher 19 Sep 2014
Where is the old thread comparing different methods for carrying pegs for winter?
I can't seem to find the old thread on this - anyone any preferences?
I'm thinking just bosh them all onto a oval karabiner and hope I don't drop them while attempting to mash them with a hammer.
Anyone any other methods?
 mrchewy 19 Sep 2014
In reply to paulpitcher:

I find a washing line works well with pegs.
 KellyKettle 19 Sep 2014
In reply to mrchewy:

You'll ruin your brickwork pounding pegs in, much better to use a camming device to hang your washing line...
 CMcBain 19 Sep 2014
In reply to paulpitcher:
tie a really small loop of 2/3 mm cord round the hole of the peg (basically thin enough cord that its still easy to get a biner into the hole of the peg). Rack all your pegs on one biner using the cord which makes them sit on your harness better and easier to place. Just make sure not to clip the cord out of desperation when placed .
Post edited at 13:31
 mrchewy 19 Sep 2014
In reply to KellyKettle:

No no no. Cams are kept for guying out the tent on rocky landscapes.
 gethin_allen 19 Sep 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

This is a good idea, they are easier to keep hold of when racked like this too.
 Aigen 20 Sep 2014
In reply to paulpitcher:

I use very lite cable ties. They keep an open loop and are very easy to unclip.
 nniff 20 Sep 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

> tie a really small loop of 2/3 mm cord round the hole of the peg

What he said - a loop about an inch long, doesn't need to be fancy stuff - any old nylon string will do
 Jamie B 20 Sep 2014
In reply to CMcBain:
> tie a really small loop of 2/3 mm cord round the hole of the peg (basically thin enough cord that its still easy to get a biner into the hole of the peg). Rack all your pegs on one biner using the cord which makes them sit on your harness better and easier to place. Just make sure not to clip the cord out of desperation when placed .

A dissenting voice - I've never liked this method when using other folk's pegs. I find the pegs tend to catch up on each other and it feels like a fankle. Then again I only carry 3 pegs, which will rack straight onto a single large snapgate. I don't expect to be placing a peg unless I'm working 2-handed on a ledge.
Post edited at 11:32
seaofdreams 20 Sep 2014

I also rarely carry more than three and I just clip them to a biner.

Oval is nice but it's not a big deal really
In reply to paulpitcher: Pretty much any large krab will work for 2-3 pegs, but a Black Diamond Ovalwire krab is a good (best?) option. It will easily rack 3 channel pegs which are the hardest to rack or between 4-6 pegs if they are a mix including knifeblades and lost arrows.

LakesWinter 20 Sep 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

I found that after one or 2 placements I'd hammered through the cord when catching it putting in/taking out the peg.

Now I just have 3 pegs on a krab, push the peg into the placement and hammer away, not dropped a peg for years
 Aigen 20 Sep 2014
In reply to LakesWinter:

Thats why I now use cable ties because I kept mashing the chord.
needvert 22 Sep 2014
In reply to paulpitcher:
Not in a winter context but....

I really like the modern beak pitons, I'm thinking specifically of the Moses tomahawks. One thing that's awesome is they come with a beefy wire loop. If you rack em with the loop they get hooked on stuff, what I want to do that others have done is setup a loop through the top hole. And while I'm at it also put wire loops on all the other pitons and replace the weak ones on the BD stuff.

But, downside is I'll have to work out, or get someone else, to do the swage, I'd like it to be able to hold a fall.

(Maybe other people can get racking pitons directly on carabiners to work for them but I find it a PITA.)
Post edited at 14:31
greencaubeen 22 Sep 2014
In reply to paulpitcher:

I find that using a 15cm or 20cm open QuickDraw looped through the eye of the peg means that they hang really nicely on a karabiner. Just need to take care when hammering that you don't bash the QuickDraw too much if you then want to clip it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...