Ukippers and Scotland (and the UK)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Stretford 19 Sep 2014
If Britian left the EU it's hard to see a devo-maxed Scottish government not having another independence referendum on the basis of that, and winning it.

How do Ukippers feel about this? You'd effectively be campaigning for the end of the UK.
 Coel Hellier 19 Sep 2014
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> ... another independence referendum on the basis of that, and winning it.

You think so? It's not clear to me that a referendum on ditching the pound and joining the Euro would win.
 ByEek 19 Sep 2014
In reply to Coel Hellier:

Yeah - I never really did understand what the benefits of jumping out of the UK pan and into the EU fire was trying to achieve.

I don't think we should fear leaving the EU. Nothing much would change. We would still have the pound. We would still be bound by EU legislation and trade agreements if we wanted to trade with the EU, and just as now, it would be a load of unelected, unaccountable eurocrats that imposed all this on us. Out government would still be powerless in the face of such rules... as it is now.

> You think so?

Yeah, much was made of EU membership during the campaign, for good reason.

> It's not clear to me that a referendum on ditching the pound and joining the Euro would win.

Nice try. I could just as easily say it would be a referendum on EU membership. With the rUK out, I doubt keeping the pound would have the same draw.

In reply to ByEek:

> Nothing much would change. We would still have the pound. We would still be bound by EU legislation and trade agreements if we wanted to trade with the EU, and just as now, it would be a load of unelected, unaccountable eurocrats that imposed all this on us. Out government would still be powerless in the face of such rules... as it is now.

Why leave then?
 ByEek 19 Sep 2014

> Why leave then?

Exactly.

Wouldn't the UKIP government have to agree to the Scottish referendum? (I have no idea, genuine question)

Have to say it all seems HIGHLY unlikely, but a fun exercise I guess
In reply to ByEek:

> Exactly.

I'm with you on that, but I disagree on nothing would change if we left, we really have no idea, it hasn't happened before.
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> Wouldn't the UKIP government have to agree to the Scottish referendum? (I have no idea, genuine question)

I was thinking more of a Tory/Ukip coalition but still. If the Scottish government thought they could win a referendum they would organise one anyway, the result would be hard to ignore, even if it was't sanctioned by westmister.

> Have to say it all seems HIGHLY unlikely, but a fun exercise I guess

Agreed, it will most likely Ed Milliband PM with a record low % of the popular vote.....but there's still a year to go, long time in politics
KevinD 19 Sep 2014
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> Wouldn't the UKIP government have to agree to the Scottish referendum? (I have no idea, genuine question)

To pass the supporting laws and say that they will honour the results. It might not be completely necessary but does help.
An example where this isnt happening is the Spanish government and their approach to the Catalonian referendum.
 The New NickB 19 Sep 2014

> You think so? It's not clear to me that a referendum on ditching the pound and joining the Euro would win.

That isn't the referendum that Cameron has promised! Is it?
 Bob 19 Sep 2014

You're making the assumption that UKIP have any policy beyond blaming someone else.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...