Jacket sizing, brand to brand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie B 18 Sep 2014
I seem to inhabit a shadowy nether-world between XL and XXL with the above, and as many of the best prices are online often have to gamble - I find that the sizing guidelines often only tell part of the story..

Any general impressions of brands that seem large or skinny for the size? I've heard it said that Rab garments are the latter, while my experience with ME has been the former.
 top cat 18 Sep 2014
In reply to Jamie B:

I've stopped using ME because when I get a general good fit it is too tight under the arms [L] so I had to get XL baggy fit.
 ewar woowar 18 Sep 2014
In reply to Jamie B:

I am in the same XL-XXL position

Rab ok at XL just
Haglofs XL just
Montane XXL
Marmot XXL
Berghaus XL
Patagucci XL
Royal Robins XL

Hope that helps
 gd303uk 18 Sep 2014
In reply to Jamie B:
Patagonia and Arcteryx size small fits me near perfectly, but TNF and ME small is too small, and their medium too big, Rab small is ok, if anything the arms are long and chest a bit narrow.
And shoe sizes are as variable, La Sportiva and 5ten are on the large size.
Post edited at 11:38
 Carolyn 18 Sep 2014
In reply to Jamie B:

I can tell you which brands have long enough sleeves and bodies in a women's small, but I suspect that's not helpful......
 dek 18 Sep 2014
In reply to Jamie B:

Paramo, will further tailor a jacket for you, for about forty quid.
 Reach>Talent 18 Sep 2014
In reply to Jamie B:

I'm in the XXL-Godknows bracket but hopefully this is of some help:

Rab - Not consistent, some stuff fits and some doesn't. Generally their lighter weight stuff seems longer in the arm and smaller in the body while their bigger insulated jackets make me look like I'm wearing a patrol tent with 3/4 length sleeves.
ME - Their down jackets seem big but I've never actually found any of their other clothes in XXL to comment. Lots of stuff seems to stop at XL.
Haglofs - Small and skinny, but longer in the limbs
 nathan79 18 Sep 2014
In reply to Jamie B:

XL generally here but I find

Rab: arms too slim so have to size up XXL and it's still tight.
Montane: XL is do-able but tight around the shoulders, and I'm bulky but not broad.
Marmot: Given it's bigger American sizes I can do L but it's a little tight across the chest/shoulders so XL generally.
Paramo: XL is billowy but I've never checked to see if L is a better fit.
Berghaus and Mountain Equipment I find similar in that XL is slightly smaller than I'd like but are okay.
Mammut: their XL is as it says on the tin. Roomy enough for underlayers but not superloose.

(note to self: you buy too much gear)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...