Recommended ne a waterproof jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Ww 16 Sep 2014
As the thread title implies, I'm after a jacket which is

a. waterproof (not shower proof or water resistant)
b. breathable
C. snug fitting

with

no collar
pit zips
a price tag of £120 or below.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers, JW
 Joez 17 Sep 2014
In reply to John Ww:

Something by Gore, I just bought one of their active shell jackets, very neat which is something I really struggle with. I think retail was 170 but I got least years colour for 85

Pretty sure no collar is impossible. But I know what you mean, my jacket has a 3cm collar. No pit zips either, but the active shell should hopefully mean I don't need them and it does have vents under a flap along my back

I bought the running jacket, but they do bike ones too, I've used this on my bike and it's fine for me, it does have a longer back than front.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-running-wear-air-gt-active-shell-jacket-ss14/?...
 wilkesley 17 Sep 2014
In reply to John Ww:

I use a Montane Lite-Speed. It does have a collar and hood. The hood can be completely folded into the collar, but I actually find it useful in heavy rain as it keeps the water out of my eyes. No pit zips.

Windproof, very light and breathable. Cost £29 in a sale.
 AlisonSmiles 17 Sep 2014
In reply to John Ww:

Watching with interest. I seem to have been after this perfect jacket for cycling for years! I've got one that almost does the job but no pit zips.
 GrahamD 17 Sep 2014
In reply to John Ww:

I've never had any luck with full waterproofs on a bike - breathable or not. I always end up wetter from sweat than I would with a much more breathable shower proof.
OP John Ww 17 Sep 2014
In reply to LittleJoe:

Aha! I meant hood, not collar (blame it on the wine)!. However, it does need to be a low collar rather than a "neck warmer" type thingy.

The best ideas I've had so far are the

B'Twin 700 membrane waterproof cycling jacket, £60 from Decathlon, and the

Altura Vapour Waterproof, £114 from Wiggle.

Anybody got any experience of these?

Thanks for the replies so far,and keep the suggestions coming.

Cheers, JW
 FrankBooth 19 Sep 2014
In reply to John Ww:

I managed to drop/loose two jackets last year, the best of which was the Montane Litespeed which I thought was excellent.
Road biking, in my view has similar requirements to mountaineering or any other fast moving outdoor activity. Better to wear a good quality softshell, and carry a lightweight waterproof to pop over it when it really turns gash. So long as you keep moving, it doesn't matter if you get a bit wet, so long as you're keeping out the bite of the wind.
OP John Ww 19 Sep 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

Having been nearly drowned in the Frankenjura this summer, believe me, I want a "fully waterproof" waterproof
 balmybaldwin 19 Sep 2014
In reply to John Ww:

My endura waterproof is very good for the money (I can't remember the model but it was about £90), and does everything you want other than it does have a short (not folded over) collar, but witht he zip done up this doesnt bother me or flap around.

Fully tested through 6 days of orange and yellow rain warnings when doing LEJOG in 2012... amazingly I stayed dry and toasty (well the bits that didn't get fully submerged in flood water)
OP John Ww 19 Sep 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Sounds just the job, I'll have a look at the Endura range.

Cheers, JW
 balmybaldwin 19 Sep 2014
In reply to John Ww:

It has a popper hood too which I haven't seen since I took it out of the carrier bag... think this is the current model of the same jacket (mine doesn't have the built in light):

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/endura/luminite-ii-jacket-ec053352
 nniff 19 Sep 2014
In reply to John Ww:

One of these:

http://www.bowlandoutdoors.com/acatalog/gore-bike-wear-power-gore-tex-activ...

ON the money too, from here

Utterly brilliant - rolls up in thirds and fits in a jersey pocket with one of those live-strong-help-for-heroes bands around it.

No pit zips - doesn't need them. Doesn't flap but obviously not as slippery as a jersey alone.

Even comes with a waterproof phone pouch
Grim 19 Sep 2014
In reply to John Ww:

Really rate the Mavic helium. No pit zips but great venting and fits easily into a jersey pocket. Just squeezes into sub 100 quid at James' http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/mavic-helium-h2o-jacket-white-id75883.html?g...
 NEKromantiK 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Grim:

I'm looking at the Helium h2o as well. The water column rate is 15000mm at Mavic.co.uk http://www.mavic.co.uk/apparel-men-road-jackets-helium-h2o-jacket#.VCBcf5Rd...
but anywhere else is 7000 (chainreaction, jejames. Am I looking at a different model?
 LastBoyScout 22 Sep 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

> I've never had any luck with full waterproofs on a bike - breathable or not. I always end up wetter from sweat than I would with a much more breathable shower proof.

That ^

However, I have an Endura Superlight jacket, if you can still get them, which was £90 new, I got it in a sale for £45. Ticks a, b, c and f, anyway. Could be more breathable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...