La Sportiva Katana lace vs. velcro

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 douwe 15 Sep 2014
A question about climbing shoes;
Does anyone know how the lace version of the La Sportiva Katana compares to the velcro version?
I'm considering getting the lace version as the velcro version seems to be out of stock in my size with most my regular suppliers. Should I get the same size with the lace version as I'm currently using with the velcro version? Are there any other noticeable differences between the two models?
 AlanLittle 15 Sep 2014
In reply to douwe:

Very different shoes. I've had both, didn't like either of them much personally.

My problem with the velcros was that they were too soft for my heavy, clumpy-footed climbing style and quickly broke down and lost all support. (But how many bouldering world cup rounds has Kilian Fischhuber won wearing them? Lots)

The Laces otoh were super durable and supportive, and I suspect would have been great if they hadn't been a little too wide for my foot. I prefer Miura Laces which are noticeably narrower. The Katana laces served me well and retained decent performance for a long time as training and multipitch shoes though.

I had both Katana variants, and Miura Laces, three full euro sizes down from street shoe size (42 vs 45)
OP douwe 15 Sep 2014
In reply to AlanLittle:

Thanks! I'd already read somewhere on the web about the lace up Katana being a bit wide. That's definitely a negative aspect for me since I also have narrow feet.
I've always loved the Katana velcro so I thought I might just as well give the lace version a go. But if it's really a different shoe I'd better keep looking for the velcro's
 sean1 16 Sep 2014
In reply to douwe:

Have you tried the Muiras?
valjean 16 Sep 2014
In reply to douwe:

x2 on being two different shoes

id take the laces .5 size lower for a "similar" fit.

laces are more downturned

im happy with both -- i have 2 velcos .5 size difference and probably a total of 7 resoles between them and 1 pair of laces i started using this season.
OP douwe 16 Sep 2014
In reply to sean1:

Tried the Miura VS but liked Katana better.
 sean1 16 Sep 2014
In reply to douwe:

I climbed in the katana's velcro for about 5 years and loved them, still have a pair but for the past 5 years have climbed in the Muira laces which I think are a better shoe for edging. I also have been climbing in the Muira VS all of last summer which I love also, on steep technical small edges climbs.
the muira laces are different to the VS more like the Katana velcro's but with a slightly stiffer sole, better edging. They smear just as good. Might be worth a try. They do loosen up a lot from new.
 The Ivanator 16 Sep 2014
In reply to douwe:
I have had both the Katana velcro and the Katana lace. I like the lace version and have switched to them over the velcros, harder wearing, more technical toe (slightly downturned), but heel feels a little baggy in both versions on my foot. Sizing wise I wear a 44 in the velcro and a 45 in the lace - these feel similarly snug, I followed the Banana Fingers sizing guide when switching from velcro to lace, they suggested moving up a size and this worked well for me. The general foot shape does suit me and I don't notice a massive difference in the width between the velcro and the lace, although they are certainly quite different shoes - seems a little strange they share a name to be honest.
Post edited at 10:18

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...