Panniers or rucksack?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 11 Sep 2014

Morning all

I'm cycling from Christchurch (Dorset, not NZ) around the Isle of Wight this weekend and taking part in a couple of the IoW Fell races on Sat and Sun, I'm staying in a B&B.

I will be on my road bike and have swapped my rack from my hybrid onto it, the trouble is it suddenly feels very heavy, and that's before I even think about attaching panniers with weekend kit. So, do I stick with it, or do I go fro a small rucksack and a sweaty back?

Many thanks, TtB
 Bob Hughes 11 Sep 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade:

panniers every time. it's not just the sweaty back but the aching shoulders. with the weight on your bike you'll barely notice it - with the weight hanging off your shoulders you'll really notice it
In reply to Bob Hughes:

Great - that answers it most clearly. Thank you

ooh, I disagree about not noticing the weight on the bike. Personally I find a bike far lighter to ride with a rucksack than panniers. But agree about the sweaty back,
Rigid Raider 11 Sep 2014

Not just the sweaty back; the extra weight will kill your bum. Panniers every time - if correctly fitted you won't notice them. The bike will just feel a bit heavier.
 AlisonSmiles 11 Sep 2014

Last time I decided a lengthy road ride after work with my commuter rucksack was a good idea I regretted it. Not only sweaty back but after a while I found myself wriggling about trying to re-settle the shoulder straps better, and because cycling unlike walking seems to have my back curving outwards rather than shoulders back, I developed a mid back sore from the rucksack too.
 Fraser 11 Sep 2014

I found that even by just attaching the rack, the bike's handling is noticeably heavier. Pannier(s) on and it's a completely different ballgame, but more comfortable in the long run. The downside is more faff.
Rigid Raider 11 Sep 2014

On mountain biking trailquests I've even found that the low C of G afforded by panniers makes the bike more stable.

Off road though panniers are a pain if you need to lift the bike.
 JohnnyW 11 Sep 2014

Got to admit I have been swithering on this for a while. I fitted a rack to the MBK to carry some serious kit into Ben Alder last month, and it was definitely the right thing to do.

I have also fitted one to my hybrid commuter, that I do 24m hilly miles to work on a couple of times a week, and I do find I notice the weight on the bike. I am less sweaty on my back, but as I am in the National Sweating Team, that's still a fair bit as I work hard.

Can't decide which I prefer yet, but I'm going to give it a few more weeks.....
 earlsdonwhu 11 Sep 2014

Panniers every time for heavy and prolonged trip. Lower centre of gravity is more stable.
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Thank you to all for your replies, it would appear that panniers are the way forward. They're fitted now so think I'll still with them.

Thanks all, TtB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...