How well do you know first Aid?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 matt25 07 Sep 2014
Hi, I am Matt and I am doing some research into how many people actually know first aid and what to do in an emergency when they are in the mountains.

I have created a quick survey, It would be much appreciated if you could take 5 minutes to fill it in, it is only 5 questions and it would be a great help.

Please go to: http://bit.ly/1lPAvje

Or if you prefer just answer on here with the following answers:

Have you had any First Aid training?
What do you know?
Do you wish you knew more?
What do you wish you know more about?

Thanks, Any responses would be much appreciated,
Matt

OwenM 07 Sep 2014
In reply to matt25:

Can't do your survey as I wont give my email address to some random bloke off the internet.
 mypyrex 07 Sep 2014
In reply to matt25:

WON'T do your survey as I wont give my email address to some random bloke off the internet.

Suggest you reconsider the format of your survey.
 Jack B 07 Sep 2014
In reply to matt25:

Hi Matt.
Your survey starts with a request for an email address, and says it is required. Many people prefer not to give personal details in anonymous surveys, so if an email address is absolutely necessary, it would be prudent to say why. Also, you say you are doing research, are you doing this for university work? If so, you the information and disclaimer page that your institution almost certainly requires is missing.

anyway:
Have I had any first aid training?
Yes. I have a 16-hour qual, along the lines of the emergency first aid at work, that I try to keep current. Long ago I also did some more advanced training through my local search and rescue team.

What do I know
Err... This is a very open ended question. Do you want a list? I will inevitably forget something. I know what is in the 16-hour course, and a few extra odds and ends. The extras include the content of the ML course and other things, some examples:
-How to identify a hypothermic casualty
-How to treat exposure hypothermia, and immersion hypothermia
-How to signal "I need help", "I'm OK" and "Do not land here" to a helicopter
-How to protect an immobile casualty from the environment
-How to make an improvised carry to move an immobile casualty, and how difficult and impractical this can be.
-How to get help from mountain rescue (999 -> police -> MRT)
-How to manage an incident and protect the rest of the group from injury
-How to protect the airway of an unconscious casualty hanging in a climbing harness
-Various rope rescue techniques
- More, that I have forgotten

Do I wish I knew more?
When it all goes wrong, we all wish we knew more. But practically speaking, I use these skills very rarely, and If I learn more I will likely forget the details. I think I have a good level of first aid knowledge for someone who doesn't use it regularly.

What do you wish you know more about?
As above, I am happy with my level of knowledge. I am also happy with the breadth of it. If I were to learn more, it would be to make small advances in all areas rather than any one area.
Bingers 07 Sep 2014
In reply to matt25:
> Have you had any First Aid training?

Yes.

> What do you know?

Hopefully lots, I'm a first aid trainer, with my specialities being Outdoor First Aid (which is what I have been training today), Paediatric First Aid and Forest School First Aid.

> Do you wish you knew more?

It is rare to get asked a question that I can't answer (except for medical questions), but there is always more to know.

> What do you wish you know more about?

I don't know what I don't know, except that I am going to have to find out more about AEDs as they become more common.

> Thanks, Any responses would be much appreciated,

That's okay, but I do agree with the previous responses.
> Matt

IPPurewater 07 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

>WON'T do your survey as I wont give my email address to some random bloke >off the internet.

> Suggest you reconsider the format of your survey.

Ditto !
OP matt25 07 Sep 2014
Thanks for the responses, Sorry that is something I had overlooked, the email is now only optional, it was for no particular reason. I would never do anything with the email addresses received.

Cheers,
Matt
 Billhook 07 Sep 2014
In reply to matt25:

I would suggest you think about changing the way you ask Q2. For example do you want us to put;-

a) a lot
b)a little
c) just enough, or what? (These are all of course, subjective answers.

or :-

a) How to stop bleeding
b) How to etc., etc., as per Jack's reply ?
 The Potato 07 Sep 2014
In reply to matt25:

Ive completed the survey however in comparison to other ones ive filled in on UKC for people its not a very good one, the questions are too open and theres not enough guidance, I dont know what you are trying to glean from this but Id redesign it if I were you.
alexgoodey 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Bingers:

Re AEDs - not a lot to learn, I was training on them at the weekend (weekend 1 of 3!), but how you use depends on your clinical competency. If you're a first aider (most people) then follow the instructions as spoken by the device - modern AEDs are incredibly clever - they only shock if a shockable rhythm is detected, and will only administer the correct shock for the size of the patient. After the event, the hospital can download the ECG of the cardiac event from the device for analysis, if required. Look around for familiarisation sessions, your local ambulance trust will have a Community liaison who should be able to help.

The most important thing is if you need first aid training, retraining every 2 years is absolutely essential if you want to improve your effectiveness, I have been certified for 20 years, refreshing every 2 years and EVERY course I have every been on there has always been some tweak or update to techniques thanks to the detailed research done on all major medical events.
In reply to alexgoodey:

> Re AEDs - not a lot to learn, I was training on them at the weekend (weekend 1 of 3!),

Indeed. In fact, I suspect that any person capable of following diagrammatic and voice instructions ought to be able to use an AED without any training at all; that's clearly what the designers intend.
In reply to matt25:

I have completed it however

I do not expect this to give you any usable results

At most it may help you determine if people think they know what to do. It won't help you determine if they actually know what to do

It would be good to spell Training correctly in the title.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...