Down Sleeping bag with centre zip???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Simon Wells 07 Sep 2014
Looking for advice of a manufacturer of a down bag with central zip.

I normally sleep on my side so find side zip bags cold or uncomfortable, hence the thought of a bag with a central zip.

This is what is is for:
Instructor working Scottish Highlands, tent, tarp or bothy, odd bivie.
Regular use, one or two nights in a row, more on longer trips.

Why down:
Weight
Durability
Find current synthetic bags 'sweaty'
Would go for synthetic central zip if best choice

What is the ideal bag:
650 or higher loft, 300g to 400g down depending on loft.
pertex inner and outer, if possible not ultralight as this is a work bag
No waterproof outer / resistant, my experience is the down ends up with more moisture and is harder to dry.
Black fabric to increase solar gain for mid trip drying. I have found ALL down bags slowly gain moisture on multiday trips unless aired / dried
Central zip, idealy 3/4 to create a blanket for hot nights
Baffle and cowl
Will have a synthtic outer bag for cold damp trips to move 'dew' point and protect down.

I have looked at:

Exped Dreamwalker, too many features make it heavy and very heavy for warmth
Decathlon / Simond bag, only 550 loft down so heavy and more fragile??
PHD make your own, to the spec mentioned above, great bag but a very worrying price.
Feathered Friends Wren, spec shows it light and cheaper than the Exped dreamwalker
Looked at Rab, ME, Hagloff, Western Mountaineering, Golite, the German brand that makes them in Poland......

Most likely purchase?

Feathered friends wren
or Exped Dream walker

Any pointers or advice?

PS to any students who saw my kit brief on Tue, I still recommend synthetic for the student budget and storage in damp Scottish digs. My house now has a rather good drying room with heating and dehumidifier

keepguessing 07 Sep 2014
In reply to Simon Wells:

You will have to order from a cottage manufacturer but "Zpacks" make hoodless sleeping bag with a center zip.
In reply to Simon Wells:

Supposedly 2015 could be the year of the centre-zip, so just wait a bit longer!
 Merlin 08 Sep 2014
In reply to Simon Wells:

Have you tried rotating the bag with your body?
Simon Wells 08 Sep 2014
In reply to Merlin:

Thanks for the idea Merlin, tried most things; Ray Jardine style quilts (to draughty) , bags with no zips (to hot) and when I rotate the bag with my body the zip ends up on top creating a cold spot or underneath.

I think a 'wide' mummy bag might work with the body rotation idea?
Simon Wells 08 Sep 2014
In reply to sebflynn:

Thank you Seb, Zpacks look stunning, lack of cowl (could wear the down balaclava they do) and the use of very light fabrics for a weekly use bag would knock it off top spot.

Thanks for the pointer!
Simon Wells 08 Sep 2014
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Thank you for the cryptic encouragement. I wait with baited brief!
 HeMa 08 Sep 2014
In reply to Simon Wells:

Carintha makes numerous sleeping bags with centerzips... Mainly for military use, so don't expect uber lightweight stuff...
 JayPee630 08 Sep 2014
In reply to HeMa:

Lightwave makes some with slightly off centre zips that look good.
 PN82 08 Sep 2014
In reply to Simon Wells:
Centre zip down bag as requested

Not the lightest down bag, but for the money its pretty good. Quite a tight fit for a 6 footer like me, bur they do xl which would sort that.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/sb-makalu-1-down-l-id_8249506.html
Post edited at 15:28
 Timmd 08 Sep 2014
In reply to HeMa:
> Carintha makes numerous sleeping bags with centerzips... Mainly for military use, so don't expect uber lightweight stuff...

Aha! I've been trying to remember that name of sleeping bag maker for years. Thank you, a small part of my brain is now at peace. ()
Post edited at 16:45
 Kai 08 Sep 2014
In reply to Simon Wells:

Valandre Lafayette is a down back with a center zip that is specifically designed for side sleepers.
Simon Wells 08 Sep 2014
In reply to PN82:

Thank you, that is the decathlon bag I mentioned earlier, should have put the name down, apologies!

How do you find the quality of the down, the website says its 550 loft which I always thought was the nearer synthetic sleeping bag weight for warmth?
estivoautumnal 08 Sep 2014
In reply to Simon Wells:

I suggest any old zips and a bottle of whisky. Guaranteed results every time.
Simon Wells 08 Sep 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

Had not thought of Lightwave, looks very good, but same price range as the PHD bags.

Thank you!
Simon Wells 08 Sep 2014
In reply to HeMa:

Thank you, had a look at the Carintha, you are right a little heavy but certainly the right shape!
Simon Wells 08 Sep 2014
In reply to estivoautumnal:

I used to favor rum on bivies, but now I find I can't climb the next day, plus knocking back a bottle of scotch might raise eyebrows when leading a group!
estivoautumnal 08 Sep 2014
In reply to Simon Wells:

Ah, ok. A half bottle then. 50% as good.
 keepguessing 14 Sep 2014
In reply to Simon Wells:

Was just looking at some buffalo gear all of there sleeping bags are center zip though they are really bulky.
markus691 15 Sep 2014
In reply to Simon Wells:
Pajak Radical
http://www.pro.pajaksport.com/?projects=test1
also available as Radical H8.

Both roberts.pl and sleepingbags-cumulus.eu offer a wide range of custom modifications so it might be worthwhile to ask even though they don't have a centre-zip bag in their lines.
Post edited at 08:31

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...