does anyone take their pets skiing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cathy 04 Sep 2014
In reply to kevin stephens:

Rather more realistically, where I am a lot of people day-tour with dogs. Last winter we were even joined once by a random golden retriever that followed us from the village parking lot, trotted happily up a 1300 metre climb, waited for us on the summit, and then charged down after us for the ski descent, loving the whole thing. And I once met some skiers on the summit of Aneto in the Pyrenees (3400m) with something like a scottish terrier, which then got popped in a rucksack for the ski descent.
 Henry Iddon 04 Sep 2014

A lot of folks in Scandinavia XC ski with dogs. A few folks at Lakes club have their dogs with them all day running up and down by the tow!
In reply to kevin stephens: I've taken Frank the Husky XC skiing for a couple of days in Scotland, he liked it. But then you'd expect that, being a husky and everything.

altirando 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Henry Iddon:

I can remember one occasion where the dog pulled a tiny sledge packed with reindeer skins and food for a very civilised lunch picnic!
James Jackson 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Henry Iddon:

> A lot of folks in Scandinavia XC ski with dogs. A few folks at Lakes club have their dogs with them all day running up and down by the tow!

My labrador has joined me for a ski-tour on Helvellyn (including ascending by the LDSC, but on a 'closed' week day!).
 girlymonkey 05 Sep 2014

The happiest dog I have ever seen was with a ski tourer in France. It was a collie that trotted up happily behind the skier, then was bouncing with anticipation as the guy was taking off the skins ready for the descent. The chase down the hill must have been the best fun it had.
 The Potato 05 Sep 2014

Ive not tried but I can imagine balancing the fishtank would be tricky.
 mike123 05 Sep 2014
 Seocan 07 Sep 2014

aye, jess the collie is the only company i ever keep while touring, i keep a wee tool kit to de-ice her feet, and wait for her at the bootom of the long cruises, she waits for me on the uphills.
admittedly she's a liability on piste!
 Dave 07 Sep 2014

Ive taken my dog ski touring in Norway (Lyngen) several times. He absolutely loves it but is a bit of a liability near cliffs so you've got to keep a close eye on where he is.

Billhook 07 Sep 2014

My dog absolutely loves coming out with me :-

http://davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/day-out-on-skis.html
 Cathy 09 Sep 2014

Of course in NZ they ski with their sheep rather than with their dogs.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/10475629/Photo-shoot-turns-into-woolly-resc...
 Mark Bull 09 Sep 2014

I once saw a guy skiing on piste in Norway with a large husky-type dog attached to a chest harness. The dog just charged down the hill with the skier following behind.
 yorkshireman 09 Sep 2014

My border collie, Eric, loves to come XC skiing with me.

http://instagram.com/p/khWJ2csRFz/?modal=true

We have trails just 50m from my front door so its a regular thing for us in the winter.
 AG 09 Sep 2014
Used to take my collie touring all the time in Scotland...bit of vasoline on the paws to stop them balling up and a wee soft shell jacket for colder days and she loved it. ..used to have to wait on long descents but that wasn't a problem.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...