I need some advice about an Helly Hansen Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ubaye 03 Sep 2014
Hello everybody

Maybe did I mistittled my previous message, as I got no answer after 39 visits
So, I am interested in the Helly Hansen Odin Traverse Jacket; my main activities would be spring and summer mountain climbing (mixed rock & snow, not very hard climbs..) and hiking.
Has anyone tried that Jacket, please? I have found quite good review for it on the web, but I would rather have a "direct review", if possible.

Thank you.
 TobyA 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Ubaye:

You don't see that many people using HH's serious mountain gear in the UK, don't think they distribute that widely, so it is a good chance no one has one who has looked at the thread.
OP Ubaye 03 Sep 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Thank you for your reply;
I had thought thak I could have a chance on an UK forum as most of the few reviews I have read were on scotish sites..

Wait and see
 wbo 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Ubaye:
I've seen it, and if you want a full blown waterproof it's good jacket. Nice fit, colours and so on. If you're very active in it you'll get hot
 Mr-Cowdrey 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Ubaye:

I noticed on their website that a review said that the arms and hood were not waterproof and the reply from HH said that it was a softshell. But elsewhere are saying it's a hardshell. They claim it to be waterproof yet In my experience, waterproof and water resistant (i.e. softshells) are 2 different things.

http://shop.hellyhansen.com/gb/item/odin-traverse-jacket-62025/

If Helly Hensen can't decide on whether their own product is waterproof or not then I'd steer clear and look for a better hardshell (if that's what you're after) from a more reputable mountain clothing brand, and for less.
OP Ubaye 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

Thank you for your answer. I have read that too, and I have send HH a message asking if they were speaking of the same jacket because their answer to the complaining customer and the jacket's description do not match.
That was puzzling me too.

I was particularly interested in that jacket because I have found a shop where they sell it half price.. At €150, that can be interesting if the jacket is good enough for what I want to use it for.
If not, I would look for a more reputable brand as you suggest.

Have a nice day
OP Ubaye 05 Sep 2014
In reply to wbo:

Thank you for your reply

I have seen this jacket in a shop (on sale at €150) and I just tried it for a few minutes. As it was on a warm day, I quickly had a doubt about its breathability, but I have seen much worse (my hiking jacket with Gore-Tex Performance Shell can be a real portative sauna, for example); of course, all that depends on air temperature AND moisture. The membrane efficiency depends on the moist difference (gradient) between the ambiant air and air next to the skin (under the shell); in very wet conditions, no breathability.

That is why I am looking for "direct" review, it is always difficult to entirely trust a review on a potentialy commercial web site.

Have a nice day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...