b3 boots, should they have flex.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jordan Harris 01 Sep 2014
Hi guys, i recently bought a pair of la sportiva Nepal evos, and whilst walking in them recently I've noticed that when i stand right on the end of the toe there's a small amount of flex in the forefoot part of the sole,should this be happening or should i be sending the boots back..?

cheers.
 top cat 01 Sep 2014
In reply to Jordan Harris:

In the old days a B3 was zero flex.

Modern B3's seem t have a bit: often called B2.5
 JoshOvki 01 Sep 2014
What size are your boots?

Size 3 I wouldn't expect any flex, Size 13 I would expect a bit.
Post edited at 10:49
 Jamie B 01 Sep 2014

Bodyweight is also a factor. I've never had a pair of B3s that didn't flex at least a bit, but some definitely more than others. My old Nepal extremes flexed a lot more than my current Phantom guides.
 keepguessing 07 Sep 2014

B3 boots now have a little flex due to new materials like leather and fabric being used in the days of the plastic boots you had zero flex funilly enough this is the speculated cause as to why crampons tend to break more easily these days.
 The Potato 07 Sep 2014

as above, a large person in large shoes will flex no matter how stiff they are meant to be
My Mantas are a B2 in size 10.5 and I can get them to flex a little, never worn a B3 so cant comment fully, however if its only a little flex then provided its not causing your crampons to flex too then it shouldnt be a problem.
 JayPee630 08 Sep 2014

That's fine, don't worry.
 Hannes 08 Sep 2014

All my B3s other than my scarpa omegas have flexed somewhat, it makes them so much more comfortable for walking in. Mine are size 12 though so obviously more prone to bending.
 Nick Harvey 08 Sep 2014
The new Scarpa phantom range flex a fair bit, there is a video / gif on Dane's cold thistle site somewhere that shows him standing on a step on his toes and them flexing a lot. I have never had a problem with this though.
 StuDoig 08 Sep 2014

I've never had a pair of B3 boots that never flexed at least slightly since my old scarpa vegas. Don't worry about it, it's normal.

Cheers,

Stuart
Lusk 08 Sep 2014
In reply to sebflynn:

> new materials like leather

You're obviously very young, leather did exist before plastic!

My Scarpa Matterhorn size 45 B3s flex a little.
Heels always blister up if I haven't worn them for a while.
 CurlyStevo 08 Sep 2014

The scarpa freney, mont blanc and jorases all flex more than nepals (which do flex a bit), don't worry about it
 Gordonbp 08 Sep 2014
In reply to Lusk:

Ditto my size 44 B3 Scarpa Fitzroys....(apart from the blisters...)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...