Lung Pain Running Outdoors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ColinVern 30 Aug 2014
Hi,
I have heard that lung pain when running can just be an indicator that I'm overdoing it, though I'm not particularly new to running and on a treadmill (with slight incline) I can run at a 7.5 min/mile pace fairly comfortably at the moment. Even when increasing up to 6 min/mile at intervals I will only be out of breath/breathing hard, but not what I would call pain.
However, when I try and match this pace outdoors within 5 minutes I will get sharper pain in my lungs, mainly on the right hand side though sometimes both. This will dissapear within a minute of when I stop moving.
The only differing factor I can see if the indoor/outdoor one, so does anyone know if this is likely to be the reason for the increased difficulty? Colder air perhaps? Or is this a case of "see your doctor ASAP!"?

Cheers, Colin
ceri 30 Aug 2014
In reply to ColinVern: The air temp and humidity will be different, my OH who is asthmatic has more problems depending on the weather.
Are you out of breath when you get the pain? You may run with a different gait indoors/outdoors so you are working harder? Are you running in the country or a built up area? Do you have any history of asthma or hay fever?
Hope you get it sorted.
OP ColinVern 30 Aug 2014
In reply to ceri: I'm normally slightly out of breath, not to the point where it's uncomfortable though. It's a mixture of roads/paths and fields/grassy paths that I run on as there's plenty of green space around, though it isn't particularly flat (Malvern, if you know it) so I think my stride may be shorter outdoors to compensate for the unevenness. I do suffer from hay fever though only during the beginning of summer, I'm not sure if that would effect me now as I haven't had symptoms for over a month now.
Thanks for your input, it's a few more things to think about and possibly change to make it better!
 mbh 30 Aug 2014
In reply to ColinVern:
It will be difficult to pinpoint, since many factors are subtly different outside compared to inside, but I have found it very difficult to match my top treadmill pace when outdoors. I don't use the treadmill any more, but when I did I could do 15 kph (6:24 mile pace) for 8k ie a 40 minute 10k pace, (but not quite for 10 k,dammit!), with patches of 1000m at 16 kph. Outside, despite often trying, I struggle to keep that up for more than a mile or so, in fact I don't think I have ever managed 16 kph (6 min mile pace, except once when gravity was on my side) even on nice, flat, soft, hard, whatever surfaces.

I wonder if it is a mental thing: the treadmill just keeps you on it, whereas outside it is that much easier to slack off, and you know it, so keeping up the pace seems harder and your body reacts.

Clearly, I don't know! But I hope your pain goes away.
Post edited at 18:30
 wbo 30 Aug 2014
In reply to ColinVern: what incline is the treadmill set to? If you back off the pace a bit , or do something like cycling does it disappear.?

OP ColinVern 30 Aug 2014
In reply to mbh:
If it is the extra exertion, it might be what you say about it being harder to match pace outside. Reckon I'll try taking it easier for a bit.
OP ColinVern 30 Aug 2014
In reply to wbo: I set it to 2.0, not particularly high but apparently enough to 'simulate running outdoors'. It lessens if I slacken the pace but won't disappear unless I slow right down or stop. Haven't been on the bike for a while, but I may try pushing it on that around the hills and see if the same happens.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...