Light, breathable windproof recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oujmik 29 Aug 2014
My girlfriend has agreed to buy me a windproof for my birthday (she's a sucker for shiny gear too) but I'm not totally sure what to go for. I'm currently favouring the Rab Cirrus Wind Top for the following reasons:

Very light and packable
Highly breathable (I hope)
Highly windproof
Has an under-helmet or no-helmet style hood.

My main concerns are how breathable it really is and how durable it is against wear from rucksack straps. The time's I'd mostly wear it would be:

Cool, windy days when walking uphill where you're too hot for extra layers but too sweaty/exposed to wind to strip down to a t-shirt.

Warmer days when you arrive at the summit/ridge/technical stuff and need to keep the chill of as your exertion drops.

Any recommendations? Ideally something available in small for under £60!
 BarrySW19 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

I think Andy Kirkpatrick put it fairly well - if you're looking for something truly waterproof and breathable, try an umbrella.
OP Oujmik 29 Aug 2014
In reply to BarrySW19:

Unfortunately an umbrella isn't at all windproof, which was my main requirement.
In reply to Oujmik:

I recently bought a Marmot Trailwind Hoody, £24 from Amazon.

Similar in style to the Rab one, has mesh panels under the armpits, very light, hood goes under or over cycling helmet. In use it's been perfect mountain biking or even running, mesh panels key to reducing over heating whilst active.

Stuart
 mike123 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Stuart the postie:
whats the sizing like on those ? seems a bargain for £24, i ve got a pataguci nine trails, or something or other, thats a bit too nice to wear for mtb (one fall and "i think he dead", might get one of those to stick in the mtb pac for just in case.
Post edited at 11:56
In reply to mike123:

I thought it was good at that price too!!

I ordered a medium and large, medium fitted, large was huge! From experience with Patagonia sizing, I'd order your Patagonia size.

Stuart
 ziggy996 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

can some one link this jacket on amazon, im struggling to find it.

cheers
 Ramblin dave 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

I've had a Rab Cirrus for a few years, and have worn it for pretty much all my walking and climbing in that time. It's not indestructible, but it's stood up to some fairly consistent gritstone-based abuse and the fabric is just beginning to look tatty.

Breathability hasn't been an issue. It's also got decent pockets, which I'd say are incredibly valuable in a top like this because they can hold a pair of gloves and a hat and let you regulate your temperature without having to stop and dig in your pack.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...