valais alps guidebook out of print

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
redsonja 28 Aug 2014
im trying to get the Valais alps west guide book but it seems its out of print. is this correct, as the book must be immensely popular! does anyone know where I might be able to get one? thanks
 Simon4 28 Aug 2014
In reply to redsonja:

I have a copy of the even older one, which you are welcome to some scans from (with all kinds of warnings about its age, accuracy and reliability!).

I have just been climbing with someone who had the one you are referring to, and it didn't seem to have changed that much (i.e. both were out of date, unreliable and over-optimistic).
redsonja 28 Aug 2014
In reply to redsonja:

thats really kind of you simon. Im not bothered about being out of date, its just for some ideas for next year. I know its a while away yet, but Im making plans already. thanks
 wbo 28 Aug 2014
In reply to redsonja: the plaisir guides? There seemed plenty in the shops in the Valais area a few weeks ago

redsonja 28 Aug 2014
In reply to wbo:

the alpine club guides are what I was looking at. are the plasir guides similar?
 Simon4 28 Aug 2014
In reply to redsonja:

Let me know what peaks/areas you are interested in, and I will start scanning them.
 pec 28 Aug 2014
In reply to redsonja:

You can get a second hand copy from Amazon at the moment but it will set you back £50 or the old red harback one is on ebay at £13.
 Rob Parsons 28 Aug 2014
In reply to redsonja:

> the alpine club guides are what I was looking at

Their absence has been noted here before. It would be nice to know what, if any, plans the AC has for future guidebooks - and not just for the Valais Alps. I asked them once (I'm not a member) but didn't really get a reply.
mysterion 28 Aug 2014
In reply to redsonja:

Forget Amazon. I saw one in a Cotswold last week, reduced too.
redsonja 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Simon4:

I will e mail you. many thanks
 mattrm 29 Aug 2014
In reply to redsonja:

If you have a look at the guidebooks available, you'll generally find that there's a local guidebook which is written in English. I suspect that's why the AC isn't bothering with guidebooks these days.

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Books-Maps-DVDs/Foreign-Climbing-Guid...

There should be something there which will suit. I suspect for many folks the Swiss Plasir Alpin will do the job for warm-up routes and the Alpine 4000ers book will cover the rest.
redsonja 29 Aug 2014
In reply to mattrm:

oh grand. thanks for that. I will order the swiss plasir alpin as it seems to have the mountains im interested in. I have the alpine 4000ers. so im sorted! thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...