IBS Sufferers who run

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ava Adore 28 Aug 2014
Have you found that your symptoms have been brought on by a run?
 yeti 28 Aug 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:

a friend of mine found cutting out mass produced bread helped quite a lot

and fast food bread was the worst
 Neil Williams 28 Aug 2014
In reply to yeti:

Gluten intolerance/celiac can cause symptoms of IBS. Worth getting tested.

As for running, yes, it moves things around quickly, even if you don't have IBS. An Imodium can be a good idea before a long run!

Neil
 Jonathan Emett 28 Aug 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:

Yes. I had a couple of years of IBS, which now seems to have pretty much gone away. Running defo didn't help.
 The Potato 28 Aug 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:

not ibs but similar/worse UC, take tissue paper, learn to be discreet and choose routes away from people wherever possible.
Dont eat before a run, avoid caffeine and warm drinks. Have less fiber a few days before a big run, take antispasmodics as needed but be aware they may affect your body in different ways.
barrow_matt 28 Aug 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:

Yes, I haven't run for over a month now after only just making it home last time on a short road run. I do tend to consider routes quite carefully too.

Interesting to hear others views, it's not something that is openly discussed often even though it's a common condition.

It causes me major anxiety and stops me doing a lot of things. I've just decided to try antispasmodics again after not really sticking to them last time so will see how that goes.
 The Potato 28 Aug 2014
In reply to barrow_matt:

Interestingly with IBS although certain foods can aggrevate it, its mostly a psychological syndrome

"To date, no physiologic mechanism unique to IBS has been identified. Rather, it is currently viewed as a biopsychosocial disorder resulting from an interaction among a number of factors: visceral hyperalgesia, genetic and environmental factors, infection, inflammation, gut motility, and psychological factors, Dietary factors, GI dysmotility dysfunction, and the role of gut flora are evolving mechanisms."
Andy Gamisou 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:

I have a diverticular disease which nearly killed me a year ago when a flare up led to peritonitis. Have found out that jogging (the only cardio/fat burning exercise I enjoyed) was exacerbating it. Probably the 'jiggling around' running gives my innards. So have had to give it up leading to weight gain and a generally being pissed off. Currently investigating cycling, which seems to be a bit better fingers crossed.

Next major flare up will probably either kill me or lead to major reconstructive bowel surgery.
 trish1968 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:

Don't take imodium!!!! I travel a fair bit and only take imodium as a last result.
I had IBS and was training for marathons at the time so maybe there was a link as I don't run much now as I have 2 knackered knees, but on the bright side no IBS.
Drink lots and lots of water don't eat too close to a run. I found babanna's if eaten before a run caused me huge gut problems.
 Neil Williams 29 Aug 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Cycling probably a good idea, it's far lower impact than running but (if you ride fast enough) can be as good cardio-wise.

Neil
Andy Gamisou 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

That's what I'm finding, definately finding the cardio good.
 rlines 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:

I thought I had IBS and it turned out I was suffering from coeliac. Was preparing for a marathon as it developed and my training was extremely uncomfortable.
 hokkyokusei 29 Aug 2014
In reply to ow arm:

> Interestingly with IBS although certain foods can aggrevate it, its mostly a psychological syndrome

> "To date, no physiologic mechanism unique to IBS has been identified. Rather, it is currently viewed as a biopsychosocial disorder resulting from an interaction among a number of factors: visceral hyperalgesia, genetic and environmental factors, infection, inflammation, gut motility, and psychological factors, Dietary factors, GI dysmotility dysfunction, and the role of gut flora are evolving mechanisms."

Many years ago I was diagnosed with IBS. When I asked the doctor what that meant he told me "we don't know, but we don't consider it life threatening". I've since discovered that anxiety is a major trigger for me. For example if I'm going travelling I will be terrible on the way to the airport, but fine once I've caught the flight. The same can happen when running in a race, though not when setting off for a run on my own. I think that the root cause is something in my head that worries where I'm going to go to the toilet should the need arise, so I'd better go right now. I deal with it by predicting when it will strike and taking Imodium accordingly.

Roberttaylor 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:

Running makes me need a shit fairly regularly.
In reply to rlines:
I think there are a lot of people with coeliac that don't know it and are stuck on other medications[1] when stopping eating gluten would just solve the problem in a shot (it's inconvenient, but it's less "inconvenient" than the subject under discussion, you could say). The medical profession seem to often completely miss it when it would seem an obvious test to do on anyone who complains of IBS type symptoms, fatigue or severe heartburn/reflux, as it's easy and cheap to rule it out.

[1] In my case proton pump inhibitors for heartburn, which are nasty things as they only make the malnutrition side worse, and have all sorts of nasty side effects including depression. Though I don't know if I'm actually coeliac, I gave up gluten because experimentally it solved my symptoms entirely (and very quickly as well, took about a day to be obvious, but progressively got better over the following weeks), and the test doesn't work if you haven't eaten it recently as you lose the antibodies it tests for and the small intestine repairs itself.

Neil
Post edited at 15:34
 JimR 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

> I think there are a lot of people with coeliac that don't know it and are stuck on other medications[1] when stopping eating gluten would just solve the problem in a shot (it's inconvenient, but it's less "inconvenient" than the subject under discussion, you could say). The medical profession seem to often completely miss it when it would seem an obvious test to do on anyone who complains of IBS type symptoms, fatigue or severe heartburn/reflux, as it's easy and cheap to rule it out.

> [1] In my case proton pump inhibitors for heartburn, which are nasty things as they only make the malnutrition side worse, and have all sorts of nasty side effects including depression. Though I don't know if I'm actually coeliac, I gave up gluten because experimentally it solved my symptoms entirely (and very quickly as well, took about a day to be obvious, but progressively got better over the following weeks), and the test doesn't work if you haven't eaten it recently as you lose the antibodies it tests for and the small intestine repairs itself.

> Neil

+1 almost exactly my experience
 OldProfile 29 Aug 2014
In reply to trish1968:

> Don't take imodium!!!!

Just curious what makes you say that with so much vigour?
In reply to atbboy:

Yeah, I wondered as well. I doubt I could do a half marathon without a, umm, break, if I didn't.

Neil
 paul walters 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:

I suffered with IBS for many many years, and would agree that anxiety (for me at least) was a major factor. BUT, in February this year, as part of a concerted effort to lose weight, I started a Slimming World diet, and completely stopped eating bread and bakery products, as well as most dairy products (particularly cream). I haven't had a single flare up since then. Last year, pre-diet, I had a number of truly agonising episodes, during one of which I was unable to stand upright, and was forced to take time off work.

Since Feb I have also substantially increased my exercise regime, with gym visits, badminton, walking, running, cycling and now once again climbing. I am sure that paying much closer attention to what I am eating and drinking (I have also cut down on caffeine and alcohol) has made more difference than any of the antispasmodic meds I was prescribed.
 Denzil 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Ava Adore: had IBS type symptoms for 6 months, plus some weight loss, so eventually resorted to GP & consultant. Colonoscopy indicated low level inflammation, so I reckoned it must be some form of food intolerance. Tried some basic exclusion diets and eventually tracked it down to fructose malabsorption, and having cut out apples, pears and various other sorts of food, guts are back to normal. Consultant signed me off yesterday!

Neil Williams 17 Sep 2014
In reply to paul walters:

Could well be coeliac.

Neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...