Munro list compleaters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Newbuild100 27 Aug 2014
What did you do to celebrate.?

I'm looking for ideas for later on in the year????
 Mike-W-99 27 Aug 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:
Chose a hill where you could start straight from a pub and wasn't too far to drive to from the central belt.

What hill is your last?
Post edited at 18:41
OP Newbuild100 27 Aug 2014
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

Sgurr a mhaoraich.

We will be camping at roybridge and dining/drinking in the local pub.

BUT, Im trying to come up with ideas that will make the celebration a bit more that just getting ratarsed in the pub.
 BnB 27 Aug 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

When I completed the Wainwrights in my youth it taught me a lot about setting objectives and never being frightened of a huge challenge (which it was to a 12 year old living in London relying on an overnight National Express coach).

But, even by the stage of contemplating the end, I realised there wasn't anything to celebrate about finishing the journey. The challenge had by then been reduced to a few more days out, and I felt a big hole open up in my life. I remember walking down off that final top and not wanting to leave the mountain, sitting down again and just contemplating the conclusion of the ambition of a young lifetime. I didn't want to rejoice at all.

But you will have achieved something rare and wonderful and learned much about yourself along the way. So my advice would be to be sure not to rush away from that final top. Savour every step of the ascent, every stone on the summit, and, no matter how many friends join you on the final day, take some time for yourself on that hillside.
 Siward 27 Aug 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

Camp on top and have the party there?
 Phil1919 27 Aug 2014
In reply to BnB:

Yes, that's nice. Tells us that the journey is more important than the destination.
 Dave Hewitt 27 Aug 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

I never like plodding uphill in a large group, where no one ever seems to go at their preferred pace or with stops when they want them. So I said to people to meet on top at a particular time (think it was half-2ish or something like that) and to get there by whatever route and at whatever pace they wanted.

This worked well - partly because it was a complex ridgy hill with lots of ways up - and the various groupings and solo artists either just met at the summit or coalesced into mini groups en route.

Then we came down and got rat-arsed in the pub...
 Mike-W-99 27 Aug 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

Hmm, all the completions I've been to seem to involve a pub plus alcohol on the summit.

For my mates we surprised him and got t-shirts printed of embarrassing photos of him on the hill along with some of his funny quotes.
 JohnnyW 27 Aug 2014
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

> Hmm, all the completions I've been to seem to involve a pub plus alcohol on the summit.

Mine did.
And I bet my Second One will too......
 fmck 28 Aug 2014
In reply to BnB:

I set myself the challenge of completing my last munro with the last Corbett, Graham & Donald all on the same day. As it turned out it was a flaming hard day out with little in the way of celebration from myself just knackered and glad to reach my bed.
Folks joined me on the final Munro and celebrated back at the pub but I had to rush off and climb the final hill (Donalds) in the dark.
A bit daft really as I didn't really have time for it to register.
 Steve Perry 28 Aug 2014
In reply to Newbuild100: Watch The Wolf of Wall Street, that movie has every fantastic party idea well covered.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...