When do you reach for the "big boots"? (B1/2/3)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oujmik 26 Aug 2014
When I started walking I used bog-standard leather and fabric walking boots, I got into scrambling and climbing and started thinking maybe I should own some mountain boots (i.e. a B1 or B2 pair such as Scarpa Charmoz). But in the end I bought some light flexible inov8s for walking and climbing shoes for cragging and haven't thought about heavy boots again for a while.

Now, obviously if you are getting into winter or mixed alpine routes then you need a boot that would take a crampon, but in what other situations would you reach for these boots? I've been fine up to scrambling grade 3 in my inov8s so I suppose the natural terrain for a more technical boot would be something like the Cuillin Ridge where you need technical climbing ability but also all-day walking comfort? Although even then I'd be tempted just to go with the Inov8s for the 95% of the route where they'd be more comfortable and take climbing shoes if I thought I'd need them. I appreciate this would be impractical (and cold) in an alpine setting, but I'm talking about the UK in summer conditions.
 BnB 26 Aug 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

When I'm going to be crossing a lot of boggy ground!!
 AlanLittle 26 Aug 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

I can't imagine any UK summer conditions where I'd want to wear big boots. Strictly only for snow.
 d_b 26 Aug 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

I find soft boots tend to form a crease above my toes and eat my feet, so I tend to use a pair of light B2s for most of my walking. Anything where it's going to be too wet for approach shoes basically.
OP Oujmik 26 Aug 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

Interesting. I see a lot of people wearing them in my the UK. I guess they have alpine aspirations (or actual alpine experience) and want to practice in the same boots.
In reply to Oujmik:

Perhaps they're 'breaking' their boots/feet in pre-season?
 BnB 26 Aug 2014
In reply to AlanLittle:

Mine aren't "big" they weigh little (150g or so) more than trail/approach shoes

http://www.scarpa.co.uk/mountain/rebel-lite-gtx/

Absolutely fantastic from the Cuillin ridge to the wettest bog.
 SteveD 26 Aug 2014
In reply to BnB:

I'm with you I like my rebel lites, I don't get out as often as I like and find that with lightweight shoes/boots I get sore feet and bruises on the soles. As a result I prefer a more solid boot, I notice that folk with footwear that is less than waterproof tend to avoid the puddles, not sure if this is adding to path wear and tear or not.

Steve D
 climbwhenready 26 Aug 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

Not B1s, but I use my Meindls (B0 I think) for all hillwalking because I then don't get wet in bogs. Approach shoes or trainers are fine for path ambling or cragging, though.
 Cheese Monkey 26 Aug 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

Had to use my B2s on Dartmoor this weekend as I dont own anything else waterproof enough. Feet still got wet from sweat though
 randomsabreur 26 Aug 2014
Durability - I tend to destroy boots with a crease above the foot where they flex, and there was a good deal on B2s in Go Outdoors. They're not as comfortable as my Salomon walking boots, but 6 months of light/occasional use is not acceptable durability for £150. So they went back, tried some Meindl non Bs that were more or less as heavy as the current B2s so took the view that B2s were worth a try for stuff in the uk that requires something other than wellies or approach shoe/trainer types. They're certainly easier to scramble in than the Meindls were as the toe is somewhat narrower toe while still fitting my feet.

LucaC 26 Aug 2014
In reply to randomsabreur:

I wear b2s as general walking boots all year round. Extra support leaves my feet feeling less tired than a flexible shoe and a stiff sole lets you stand on anything, stomp into boggy ground very well, stand on edges scrambling etc. with superfeet in them, thy don't feel any different to softer shoes, and being a fabric/goretex pair means they probably weigh less than some traditional leather boots too.
 wbo 26 Aug 2014
In reply to Oujmik: I'm not saying the rebels are heavy, they're not, but that 150g difference tells me you need lighter approach shoes

The Potato 26 Aug 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

My Mantas in size 10.5 are beasts and are the non waterproof version, so when they are wet, they weigh a ton. Despite this I wear them for winter and late season scrambling or easy climbs.
I used to wear them all year round but then got wise and now wear meindl burma gtx or running shoes most of the time and just get wet feet
 AlanLittle 26 Aug 2014
In reply to wbo:

> I'm not saying the rebels are heavy, they're not, but that 150g difference tells me you need lighter approach shoes

'zactly. Three times the weight of my f-lites

(... which I only wear on the hill if they're going to be spending most of the day clipped to my harness)
 MaranaF 26 Aug 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

I started wearing B1 and B2 boots for everything as soon as I discovered how comfortable the new style boots are.

Now [much to the wifes distain] I wear my Scarpas every day. She says they are not fashionable, I dont care!

http://www.scarpa.co.uk/trek/hill-mountain/kinesis-tech-gtx/
In reply to Oujmik:

The best solution for my plantar fasciitis has been B2's (Charmoz). They're amazing to walk in so it works out fine, and also very light. I did a 12 hour linkup not long ago and my feet were happy enough.

That being said maybe I just have skinny ankles but I can't get them tight enough to get as much support as I'd like, however I was happy to buy them with this in mind as I don't really spend a huge amount of time frontpointing. Still, could be better.
 CharlieMack 27 Aug 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

+1 for scarpa rebel lite. For working in the mountains it's clearly advisable to wear boots when you're telling your clients to do so. And it also saves your feet a lot of abuse. It does mean that you can be slightly lazier and not stub your toes all the time. Also much less likely to go over on your ankle.
I wear approach shoes for smaller days. Or where I know it's a really good path all the way.
 Carolyn 27 Aug 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

I take a very similar approach - fell shoes for almost everything short of graded snow routes....

However, I got talked into stiff boots (b2) for a grade 4 scramble (not sure when they were invented!) recently, and they certainly let you stand confidently on small holds in a way that flexible shoes don't. I'm sure it would have gone in fell shoes, but in a rather different style - more smearing and less standing on small bits.

I suspect boots also win on less well used routes - possibly better at coping with dirty, slimey, vegetated rock?
 Tom Last 27 Aug 2014
In reply to Carolyn:

Same here, although I did Skye Ridge in approach shoes (Sportivas) before I ever owned fell running shoes (inov8s).

Now fell shoes for everything until winter comes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...