Food Photography Camera Recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 craig h 22 Aug 2014
I've been asked to find a camera for a work mate who enjoys taking photos of the food he cooks. He currently uses a digital compact, but the images aren't too good mostly I think due to the flash firing.

Not sure if anyone else on here takes photos of food or similar still life images? I do occasionally, but have the advantage of a DSLR.

I suggested he was probably better getting a reasonable compact with manual settings, place it on a tripod, use side lighting and a longer exposure. A DSLR would fit the bill, but was trying to also find a camera which would fit in his pocket when out on a wander on the hills.

There's plenty to chose from and have a short list of about 6 so far, but without having used them myself can only go off the various reviews. Any help/recommendations would be appreciated.

Sean Kelly 22 Aug 2014
In reply to craig h:

Only one to consider is a view camera which has bellows behind the lens, and also a tilt feature. We are talking about at least a 5x4 if not 10x8 camera back for ultra fine detail.
 Hannes 23 Aug 2014
In reply to craig h:

It depends on budget obviously but the sony rx100 is a very solid choice
OP craig h 23 Aug 2014
In reply to Hannes:

Thanks, looks to tick most of the boxes.
 eduardo 25 Aug 2014
In reply to craig h:

I shoot food sometimes, normally using a 85mm or 100mm lens (on 35mm), so the rx100's lens would seem to cover this aspect OK.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...