Image quality on waterproof cameras?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm fed up of/can't afford to keep drowning cameras.

The last few cameras I have had have been good quality compacts like the Canon S100. I really like this camera as they are easy to use and take nice pics.

Unfortunately I keep killing them.

I'm tempted by one of Panasonc Lumuix waterproof cameras. How does the image quality on them to compare to something like the S100?

My dad has an similar waterproof Olympus cameras and the image quality is dire compared to something like a S100.

What is the best waterproof camera I can get for £200? Or should I get a Canon S120 and keep it in a dry bag when I go running in the rain...
 PaulW 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

I've just bought a lumix FT5 to replace a drowned S95. Used it on an extended paddling trip and impressed so far. Quite heavy and clunky but robust as you would expect.

I think the image quality is fine but have only used it for the web and small prints, Will send you a couple of images by email so you can see what you think
 Mike-W-99 18 Aug 2014

Happy with images off of a canon d10 (out of production now).A few shots in my gallery.
 ebygomm 18 Aug 2014

My niece has a Nikon Coolpix S32 which seems to take quite nice photos, especially considering the operator is a 5 year old!
 Durbs 20 Aug 2014
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:
> (In reply to TRip)
>
> Happy with images off of a canon d10 (out of production now).

I've got the D20 and like what it does. Tend to chuck it in my pocket whenever don't want to lug the DSLR around, or for snorkelling.

They've just brought out a D30 too I see.

If you're used to Canon, the menus will be in the same place which is useful.

In reply to Durbs:

what is the image quality like compared with the s120?
 yarbles 20 Aug 2014

Not great photo quality I'm afraid. I have a Panasonic something. Also it leaked on 2nd outing so broke and was replaced. Not submerged the replacement.
 Mike-W-99 20 Aug 2014
Its got a smaller sensor so its not quite as good but we've been happy with them and I'm quite picky as I have an S110 as well.
Previous olympus was rubbish although I got a few decent shots with it from time to time.
Post edited at 23:43
 Oujmik 21 Aug 2014

I recently had a similar requirement and went with a Pentax WG-3. It's a discontinued model (latest is the WG-4) and the styling is a little childish, but this does mean you can pick one up for about £150.

It survived a week of use on the beach including extended periods underwater so it meets the basic requirement. Like you I was concerned about image quality but was pleasantly surprised. It's not mind-blowing but it is pretty decent (I normally use a DSLR so I have fairly high standards) especially once you've had a fiddle with the settings. There's not much artefacting or excessive lens distortion and the colors and sharpness are quite pleasing. It helps that it has a class-leading f/2.8 lens so it can use a lower sensitivity or faster shutter in the same light conditions. My only criticisms would be the lack of optical stablilisation when shooting video (it's for stills only) and it's slightly odd choice of aperture and shutter speed in some situations.
 Durbs 21 Aug 2014

It won't be as good as an equivalent non-underwater camera - but for me, it's a case of underwater shots, or none - so a comparison isn't great.

Having said that, for landscape shots (where you want maximum DOF), it does just fine.

It's also party/rain-forest proof which is nice.
 Si Withington 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Durbs:

I use an Olympus Tough TG-2. I'm happy with it, even as an ex photographer. IQ is nowhere near what you'd get on a high end compact or even an entry level DSLR these days, but it does its job well. I use it for snapshots of clients when canyoning etc and it's fine. See pics on our FB page for examples:

https://www.facebook.com/LakelandAscents/photos/pcb.666807666743626/6668073...

and

https://www.facebook.com/LakelandAscents/photos_stream

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...