Which 1 man tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andrew W 17 Aug 2014
I'm looking for a new 1 man tent and was after some recommendations
Some requirements
Large enough porch to store 100L worth of kit in
3/4 season
Weigh less than 2kg
Robust enough for continuous use over several months
Simple to pitch
Price bellow £500

I've been looking at the hilleberg akto but was after some more recommendations.

Thanks
Andy
 Dauphin 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

Where are you going to use it?

If you are going to spend several months and attempt to store a 100 litre bergen without making an assault course of entrance I'd be thinking about a 2 or even 3 man tent, all of which can be had for less than £500 and 2 KG.

D
OP Andrew W 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

Its going to get about 2-3 months use in Norway/Sweden as well as Scotland. Its for bike touring so the gear is in panniers or drybags so waterproof but would prefer to have it inside the tent.

The other main requirement is available in a green/brown so able to hide away a bit easier.
neilus 17 Aug 2014
 malk 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

ok, slightly over 2kg but you will save £400 ..

Vango Banshee 200
 malk 17 Aug 2014
In reply to boots:

i like the look of that- have you used one?
 boots 17 Aug 2014
In reply to malk:

I have one there great...loads of space for kit and you can get two people in if you dont use the inner. I bought the adjustable pole as well. Im in the lakes if you want to take a look
moffatross 17 Aug 2014
I'm going to be setting off on a wee adventure soon and I wanted a proper porch to cook, and room enough inside for panniers & bar bag. I bought a Vango Blade 200 (< £75) which packs small, has shed loads of space for one and weighs just over 2 kg ...

http://www.tourbybicycle.co.uk/mid-range-under-pound100.html
 TMM 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

Hi Andy,

If the Akto remains a consideration and you want to save some money I have one looking for a new home.

I am the original owner having purchased the tent from Alpenstock in 2012.

The tent is green and is the latest version with the vents at the ends of the inner tent.

After use the tent has always been aired correctly and stored dry.

Having only been used twice it is in immaculate condition with no damage or missing components.

Given the current RRP I would like £350 for the tent, I will meet the cost of tracked next day delivery in the UK. Similar tents are selling for up to £390 on eBay + postage.

Photos available on request. Drop me a line if you're interested.
 sleavesley 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

They do a one man tent, but seeing as the two man is only 1.41kg here it is half the price of an akto http://www.tauntonleisure.com/force-ten-helium-2-tent-2014/p11417

Worthwhile looking at Alpkit for their tarps as well as bike luggage too.
neilus 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

After a ridiculous amount of research, just pulled the trigger on this:
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/tents-shelters-c25/two-...
Not cheap but within your budget, at 1030gm insanely light and, perhaps the reason i bought it, no idea why, its freestanding. But it seems when you go ultralight there has to be a trade off with something, and in the case of this tent it might be stability in rotten weather...
 mark burley 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:
Which time of year? I would consider the terra nova voyager or that style. I don't like the akto orientation as I prefer headroom but like to lay side on and look out so its a compromise.take a look at plenty and think what works for you.
 Welsh Kate 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

You might want to have a look at the Henry Shires Scarp 1.
http://www.tarptent.com/scarp1.html

It fulfils all your criteria, and has several features which you might find attractive, not least the fact that it has two porches, so you could store your huge amount of gear in one side whilst leaving the other for access and cooking if you wish to cook under cover. It also has the ingenious optional extra of cross poles which add 4 season robustness, though tbh even without them it's a very robust design.

Like the Akto it's single hoop, but has uprights in the corners that provide additional structure, and reasonable amount of headroom for the single hoop type of tent. It's relatively easy to pitch, and extra guys can be attached to the hoop section - there are attachments for them if you want ot add them.

It's not quite as easy to pitch as the foolproof Superlight Voyager (I've got one of those too), and the package size is a bit bigger - at least for me since I pack my Voyager fly and inner in separate stuffsacks to make sticking in the rucksack easier. But the porch on the Voyager is notoriously on the small side given it's a 2 man tent, and the Scarp would give you more space.

Tom F Harding 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

Another one to look at could be the MSR Hubba HP. I've used it for a solo Walkers Haute Route trip and some other long weeks away. Great little tent for poor weather as you can sit up in it comfortably so it doesn't feel like a coffin. The porch is not that big but I found the inner long enough to put stuff by my head or feet.
 DaveHK 18 Aug 2014
In reply to neilus:
> After a ridiculous amount of research,

Hmmm, I'm still embroiled in that for a 2 man tent. The missus asked me last night how I'd fill my days once I'd bought a tent.
Post edited at 18:54
neilus 18 Aug 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Pfff tell me about it. It seriously does my nut in! And your missus needn't worry, you'll spend the next three months re-reading online reviews and fretting you bought the wrong one...
EvanDavies 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

This looks like it might meet your requirements:
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/tents-shelters-c25/two-...
 dek 18 Aug 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

> Hmmm, I'm still embroiled in that for a 2 man tent. The missus asked me last night how I'd fill my days once I'd bought a tent.

I've had a quasar in the past, same issues with poles.
I think Hillberg have raised the bar a bit in tent quality.
If you can get hold of their 2014 catalogue, you get wee fabric samples of the fly fabrics to test 'tear strength '.
Nordic Outdoors in Edinburgh had catalogues.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/4-Season-Tent-Reviews
Flatus Vetus 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

Another vote for the Scarp 1. I purchased the optional mesh inner and free standing pole kit at the same time. I prefer the Scarp to my TN Laser Comp and it's a fair bit lighter than my Hilleberg Soulo.
 roddyp 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Flatus Vetus:

> Another vote for the Scarp 1.

And another. Even with shipping and VAT it should come in well under budget.

Th only annoyance is that the carbon corner poles make the packed size longer than I'd like, so it tends to live on the outside of my pack.

Dauphin 19 Aug 2014
In reply to neilus:

One of the most important life decisions a man has to make.

Load of old bollocks though, £500 notes for a bag of nylon and a couple of poles and string, really?

D
 DaveHK 19 Aug 2014
In reply to roddyp:
> (In reply to Flatus Vetus)
>
> [...]
>
> And another. Even with shipping and VAT it should come in well under budget.
>

And 12% duty too if its coming fron the states.
OP Andrew W 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

Thanks for all the suggestions the scarp 1 looks like an interesting tent. I think I had discounted the MSR hubba range due to the limited porch that they have.

Does anyone know where you can get the exped tents in the UK as I can't seem to see anyone selling them.
 jwa 19 Aug 2014
I was considering the Akto but decided on the Vaude Taurus UL. About the same weight as the Akto but slightly larger and a lot cheaper. Not sure how robust it is though for what you have planned.
 boots 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

Have a look at the Hex peak andrew its huge light well made loads of room to cook in and very simple to put up... I was a bit sceptical before I bought it but now I think its great. If you want any photos give me a shout
Boots
OP Andrew W 19 Aug 2014
In reply to boots:

I had a quick look at it the only issue that I think I'd have is that I'm on a bike so not planning on taking walking poles or anything similar. Some photos would be appreciated though.

Andy
 Dr.S at work 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

ultralight outdoor gear have a big range of exped stuff, have been ok when I've dealt with them
moffatross 19 Aug 2014
A bike loaded for touring is going to weigh 25kg+ so you're not going to even notice an extra kilo on a tent.
 islandlynx 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:
Eurohike tamar. weighs about 2kg when you remove all but 2 pegs (the rest are superfluous from my experience) costs about £35 and is 2man so you can put all you stuff inside. I have used for 3 touring trips totaling about 2.5 months.

Message me if you have any questions about it
 islandlynx 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

I'll just add...
when its wet i like to be able to sit up in my tent, makes a huge difference. this isn't possible in most 1 man tents
 hedgepig 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

100 litres seems an enormous amount of luggage. Like twice a backpack. Or 3 times my cycle-pack if you exclude tent and sleeping-bag. Are you taking climbing gear as well?

I love the Akto - I kept the anti-polar-bear rifle in the porch when camping in Greenland.
trollman 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

2.8 kg hilleburg allak, 2 man, two porch, can be pitched without pegs, bombproof, but obove your current budget. I once owned the akto but found it cramped, couldn't sit up, so for muti day winter camping didnt suit me, the good people at Alpinstock are great to chat to for advice, they know the hilleburg tents inside out. I love my tent!
T
 DaveHK 20 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

I love the way everyone just recommends what they've got regardless of whether it meets the OP's spec.

Have you considered a transit van?
OP Andrew W 20 Aug 2014
In reply to hedgepig:

The 100L is about the capacity of front and rear panniers and my rack bag combined although a it will probably be closer to 60L after tent and sleeping kit has been removed. But still a large porch is needed.
OP Andrew W 20 Aug 2014
Has anyone got any experience of using Nordisk tents as they look very light but don't seem to have a great number of reviews around.
 malk 20 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

nice test of the akto: youtube.com/watch?v=a1iJvk6tKs4&
 malk 20 Aug 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

> I love the way everyone just recommends what they've got regardless of whether it meets the OP's spec.

lol not me though. i was suggesting a tent and then went and got it..
youtube.com/watch?v=k3z5adUoNPg&
can't go wrong for £85. looks pretty sturdy with its tension bands and i particularly like the twin porches..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...